PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Assistant Japanese Translator (Contract)
To be considered for this role, please provide both English and Japanese versions of your cover letter and resume.
San Diego, CA (Sorrento Valley)
The role of this Assistant Translator (contract) position is to provide translation services to and from Japanese and English to staff within Worldwide Studios (WWS) Quality Assurance, IT, and all relevant partners in order to support the development, execution, analysis and release of our products. We are looking for a team player who has prior experience working as a translator or equivalent education, interest in the gaming industry, and the ability to adapt to a fast paced and professional business environment.
Providing written translations to and from Japanese
- Translation of emails between regions including updates of test progress, queries & concerns and any other business related correspondence that contributes towards global testing efforts
- Translation of correspondence between Directors/Managers that are based on any projects/agenda which involves cross regional staff
- Translation of business documents, such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
- Translation of bug reports to ensure that the bugs detected during testing are communicated to developers and fixed in a timely manner
Coordinating with Global Translation Team to ensure efficient translation support
- Collaborate with translators in all 3 regions to provide 24 hour translation support while ensuring no work is duplicated during the overlapping hours
- Prioritize translation requests to ensure the most urgent are completed promptly
- Update translation tickets as appropriate with comments on the status and progress of assigned workload
- Utilize translation memory and glossaries
- Create a daily report at the end of the day so other regions are aware of the workload, priorities, and other operational matters that need to be communicated
Learning/Observing verbal interpretation during scheduled meetings
- Perform live interpretation services in situations such as meetings, training, phone discussions, demos and other live or virtual environments
Activities supporting the translation service lifecycle (design, transition and improvement) and any other duties as needed
- Test new tools as requested to help define the best practices for the translation workflow
- Work with the translation team to explore more efficient methods for translation services
- Work with the translation team to learn and better understand business processes and procedures as well as to get experience of working with more of our global teams
- Perform other duties that include the above services but are not limited to these activities
- At least 1 year of experience working as a professional translator or interpreter or equivalent education
- Translation skill is expected to be at a level to perform well in a fast paced and professional business environment
- A person in this role should understand basic office applications such as MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel and Outlook
- A person who is eager to learn, detail-oriented, proactive, and works collaboratively with colleagues towards common objectives.
- The ideal individual for this position will be very customer oriented and able to work with diverse groups
- Ability to follow outlined processes and procedures as well as provide feedback to team members on ideas for improvements
- General knowledge of both the game development and general software development industries is suggested
- Understanding of test policies, team configurations, and global QA and IT operations is preferred
- Either native Japanese speaker or native English speaker is preferred
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.