PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Why work when you can play?
Senior ETL Developer, Business Intelligence Services (BIS)
San Mateo, CA
PlayStation® is for The Players.
With over 120 Million customers in 109 countries, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is committed to using data to understand The Players: our customers, better than anyone else. Using the amazing networked power of PlayStation®4 and our other PlayStation systems we learn how they use them for gaming, and also how they use the networked services like streamed games, music, video, and TV(vue), how they pay, and how we can improve their customer experience. We work with games developers, marketing, R&D, PlayStation®Store, and many other parts of Sony to constantly improve our customer experience and maximise our business potential.
The Business Intelligence Services (BIS) team has grown rapidly over recent years in response to an increasing need for the business to leverage data to inform and shape key decisions, and to identify new opportunities. Currently there are approximately 100 staff within the BIS team, split between London and California, made up of high quality BI and data professionals covering BI architecture and platform support, data processing, insight reporting, predictive analytics, scrum masters and product management
Due to team expansion BIS are looking to recruit talented, highly driven individuals who have excelled in previous roles and are looking for a new challenge in a dynamic and rewarding environment.
BIS delivers reporting, analysis, insights and other assets to multiple teams across the companies and offices that make up the PlayStation business: high quality, valuable to the user, accessible, and continuously improving.
BIS Senior ETL Developer
We are looking for a Senior Developer to join the Business Intelligence Services team within the Sony PlayStation environment.
A Senior Developer is required to work within the Data Management team with the successful applicant responsible for the design, development and maintenance of the data processing platform. They will be required to fit into a highly skilled team and work with limited supervision, under their own initiative.
The successful candidate will be eager to learn new tools and techniques; while the main ETL tool is Ab Initio, knowledge of different technologies is a definite advantage.
Based in our San Mateo offices, the team provides business intelligence services for various global business units associated with Sony PlayStation.
- Requirement gathering & understanding, effort estimation, technical design, build activities, project planning and monitoring
- Work proactively & independently to address project requirements, and articulate issues challenges with enough lead time to address project delivery risk
- Providing expertise in technical analysis and solving technical issues during project delivery
- Ensure code is fully scalable, maintainable, and performant
- Completion of technical assessments and impact analysis to determine level of effort of the work requested
- Take on technical ownership of a work stream, be the subject matter expert and managing risks and issues
- Performance tuning of code and review of fellow developer’s code to confirm adherence to best practices
- Mentoring of more junior members of the team
- Work with Project Managers and Business Analysts to ensure the timely delivery of project deliverables that meet requirements
- Requires ability to work in a global and multi-cultural environment. Team members are in multiple geographies, resulting in time constraints due to time zones differences and a requirement for occasional travel
- At least 8 years’ experience of developing in Ab Initio, covering multiple components of the product suite
- Technically proficient in Ab Initio features and functionality (Experience in co-operating version 3.x)
- Experience in Version control system (EME)
- Experience in driving a full Life-Cycle Development of ETL Projects
- Skilled in UNIX, including shell scripting, admin and utilities
- Highly skilled in SQL and a variety of database technologies
- Multi-tasking capability- working in multiple projects
- Experience working on projects that are rich in data complexity and volume
- Good technical analysis & troubleshooting skills
- Experience in designing and architecting medium to complex systems, well versed with design standards & framework
- Knowledge of Dimensional Modeling
- Experienced in programming languages, for instance Python and Pyspark
- Familiarity with Information Delivery tools (such as MicroStrategy, Tableau) is a plus
- Must have eligibility to work in the United States.
- English: Fluent
Skills Required (essential):
- Demonstrable experience in developing large-scale data processing platforms
- Extensive experience throughout the software development lifecycle
- Interpersonal skills including presentation, negotiating, conflict resolution, etc.
- Strong communication skillsets. It is vital that the successful candidate can explain complex technical issues in non-technical terms to business stakeholders
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise within parallel development cycles and aggressive timelines
- Knowledge and experiences of SDLC methodologies e.g. Agile, Waterfall
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving ability
- Skilled in business requirements analysis with ability to translate business information into technical specifications
- Eager to learn
Skills Required (desirable):
- Knowledge of data warehouse appliances, e.g. Netezza, Oracle, Snowflake
- Understanding of other data processing technologies
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.