PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Senior Sound Designer
Los Angeles, CA / San Mateo, CA / San Diego, CA
Interested in working with AAA studios such as Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio (God of War Franchise), Japan Studios, Guerrilla, Sucker Punch, Insomniac and more?
are a gamer and a sound professional who has a unique passion for making worlds come alive. You are a self-starter who accepts challenges by applying creative problem-solving techniques. You are an intrepid story teller who believes that immersion is enhanced by a detailed, contextual soundtrack. You perform best when you are a part of a team that works and plays together in concert. You are driven to improve and better understand your craft, rarely finding solace in ‘good enough.’
are looking for a creative and influential Sound Designer to join the Sony Worldwide Studios Product Development Sound Group (PDSG) to craft the highest quality audio content for our wide catalog of first and second party SIE IP. Working with a dynamic family of colleagues, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with some of the most respected developers in the industry on AAA award winning projects.
Our successful candidates will have a demonstrative creative vision with excellent communication and organizational skills.
As a part of the PDSG application process, candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of their sound design work and will be asked to complete a test.
- Imagine, create and deliver innovative sound design that enhances the narrative of our games
- Collaborate with the sound leads to help shape the game’s audio vocabulary, style and standards delivering a cohesive and compelling audio experience
- Plan, script, and implement your audio designs to deliver immersive, complex aesthetic behaviors using Audiokinetic Wwise and proprietary tools
- Work successfully within the established PDSG model of teamwork throughout the development process and pipeline
- Sound design, editing and mixing of linear or procedural cinematics in multiple formats and specifications
- Investigate, design and implement the development of tools and pipeline improvements for sound designers
- Be an active team member to help encourage and deliver constructive criticism with other designers to find the best opportunity for creative and technical solutions
- Fielding Recording experience – a passion for unique, inspired recordings with a knowledge of recording gear, microphones and techniques
- ADR and Foley experience – able to plan and supervise recording sessions if required
- Collaboration with on-site studio to innovate and advance improvements within the current audio pipeline, as well as increase visibility and buy-in of audio as a vital downstream dependency
Requirements & Skills:
- 5+ years game audio experience with at least one shipped AAA credit - working with game development teams and coordinating with various game departments such as animation, level design, AI, physics, vfx, etc.
- Expert command of sound design & mixing with a variety of techniques, processes and tools – able to competently produce any kind of audio required for a given task
- Imaginative use of audio production tools, Foley performance and capture, props, recording techniques, etc. to create high quality original content
- Experience in sound design, editing and mixing for linear media of varying complexity and content styles
- Proven qualifications in scripting game sounds using commercially available sound middleware and/or internal/proprietary game development tools such as Sony’s Scream, Wwise, Fmod, Maya, Unreal Engine, etc. - a grasp of programming fundamentals as they apply to scripting dynamic audio is a bonus
- Strong problem-solving skills – able to accurately assess issues and formulate creative solutions, whether design or technical
- Excellent communication skills – able to give and request assistance with problems and issues across the development team
- Great team attitude – open to collaboration, sharing and mentoring - you are receptive to changes and direction in this dynamic atmosphere, working under pressure and tight deadlines while maintaining professional respect and courtesy to our dev teams and team members
- Knowledge or familiarity of scripting languages such as LUA, Python, etc.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.