PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Principal Software Engineer – PlayStation Interactive Services
Location: San Francisco, CA (SoMa)
Do you love working on fun, innovative services that are used by tens of millions of active users every day?
The Principal Software Engineer will architect, design, and develop the most visible cloud-based network software services for the PlayStation® and other applications/devices. S/he will provide strong technical leadership in cloud based software development and scalable API designs for the implementation of game and social features of PlayStation.
Our team is innovating and creating the next wave of social experiences to support and strengthen the human connections on PlayStation. You will work alongside partners in engineering, product, design, and research to build extraordinary experiences for customers around the world.
PlayStation Network currently has around 90 million monthly active users. This is a phenomenal opportunity to join a team working on building amazing new experiences.
- Works with other architects and engineers to plan and design how engineering components will fit together
- Design and implement RESTful Web Services API and algorithms
- Produce excellent, thorough design and development documentation
- Works under tight time constraints and respond to rapidly evolving requirements
- Mentor others in development technologies, tools, and processes
- Contributes to feature analysis from an engineering perspective
- Drives technical objectives and architectural initiatives
- 8+ years of proven programming experience in Java core libraries and developing web server applications, object oriented design and design patterns, and passionate about writing high quality and well-architected code
- Experience with NoSQL a huge plus
- Passionate about quality and writing clean, readable code that scales and performs well
- Experience with Agile/Scrum software development methodologies
- Strong understanding of engineering standard methodologies – requirement gathering and analysis, design and develop secure and scalable code with unit tests, partake in code reviews and documentation
- Experience with open source based technology stack and scripting technologies required
- Ability to handle periodic on-call duty as well as out-of-band requests
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Helpful but not required
- Experience with Amazon Web Services and EC2
- Search, Machine Learning, Online Gaming domains
- Knowledge of DevOps practices, containerization, Docker/Kubernetes
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.