Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Santa Monica Studio is seeking a Senior Traversal Designer!
The Senior Traversal Designer will assist, collaborate with and take direction from the Lead Combat Designer and Gameplay Director as needed on any the following: developing a responsive controllable character and camera, mapping buttons to actions in an intuitive way, helping to build the traversal mechanics, establishing metrics and working with the engineering/animation teams to ensure smooth transitions between gameplay states.
- Design and implement mechanics to ensure player can effectively control all movement and camera functions within the game working directly with engineering and animation teams.
- Work within the set standard for all character asset design, creation and in-game implementation within the production path as it relates to design, animation and otherwise.
- Participate in required production related meetings and functions as needed.
- Must comprehend a working knowledge of the game production pipeline in order to communicate effectively with other team members.
- Must understand the relationship between gameplay elements within the level and the overall game and all of the ways the player can respond to each gameplay element.
- Must be able to understand how a player character behaves in-game and how to map that behavior to player controls.
- Experience using a text-based scripting language (LUA) to set-up character logic.
- Basic knowledge of scripting languages and code (C++, C#) is preferred but not required.
- Working knowledge of animation systems including blending, layering and state machines.
- Must be able to grasp and work with code-based proprietary tools and techniques to implement and troubleshoot assigned characters.
- Must have knowledge of competitive products and various gameplay genres, as well as a personal understanding of what makes gameplay fun.
- Must possess quality written communication skills and the ability to convey abstract concepts.
- Ability to think logically with a strong level of attention to detail.
- Must be able to professionally communicate and work with other members of the game production team (both internally and externally).
- Must have excellent communication while still keeping the overall vision of the game in mind.
- 4 plus years in game development, with at least 2 years in Controls Design (creative and technical) specific role.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.