PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sr. Data Modeler
San Mateo, CA
As a senior member of the Analytics, Insights, & Modeling Group of the Customer Lifecycle Management & Behavior Team you will be responsible for generating interpretable, meaningful models of human behavior to address current and future business needs. This entails using a variety of statistical, data mining, and machine learning techniques to determine the right model to build for each situation, extracting appropriate features for each model, generating and testing models, and working with methodologists, model validators, and engineers to productionize models that are both valid and useful.
- Use a mix of frequentist and Bayesian statistics, data mining, and machine learning techniques to translate business needs into reliable, valid models of human behavior
- Develop, maintain, and enhance predictive and behavioral models in order to:
- Identify moments or subgroups of interest
- Classify users or content
- Predict future behavior
- Make just-in-time recommendations
- Highlight patterns, anomalies, relationships, and trends
- Support long-term solutions
- Inform decision making
- Wrangle constantly changing, large, complex, high volume, high dimensional, sparse data including both live and historical information on users and various forms of content
- Develop solutions that are accurate, practical, meet business needs, and work within the existing infrastructure
- Work with methodological experts to select the most appropriate model for each situation and to ensure that all assumptions are met and all technical decisions are sound
- Work with model validators to determine constraints and failure conditions of your models and to document model properties
- Work with engineers to productionize validated models
- Advanced analytical and problem solving abilities and a flexible, curious approach to data
- Understanding of and experience with various statistical, machine learning, and data mining techniques that can be applied to large, complex data sets
- Extensive experience querying, manipulating, and analyzing a variety of different types of data
- Exposure to applied machine learning or data mining in an industry setting
- Ability to exhibit judgement and a realistic understanding of the issues, use reason and review facts, identify inconsistencies and weigh options, and make logical and timely decisions
- Aptitude for and interest in working with methodological experts to develop a deeper understanding of modeling principles, learn new modeling methods or approaches, and identify the most appropriate model for a given question
- Ability to work independently or in conjunction with a team
- Strong commitment to the generation of useful, reliable information
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.