PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sr. Data Modeler (Methodologist)
San Mateo, CA
As a senior member of the Analytics, Insights, & Modeling Group of the Customer Lifecycle Management & Behavior Team you will be responsible for generating interpretable, meaningful models of human behavior to address current and future business needs and providing methodological expertise to other members of the team. This entails using a variety of statistical, data mining, and machine learning techniques to determine the right model to build for each situation, extracting appropriate features for each model, generating and testing models, and working with subject matter experts, model validators, and engineers to productionize models that are both valid and useful.
- Use a mix of frequentist and Bayesian statistics, data mining, and machine learning techniques to translate business needs into reliable, valid models of human behavior
- Develop, maintain, and enhance predictive and behavioral models in order to:
- Identify moments or subgroups of interest
- Classify users or content
- Predict future behavior
- Make just-in-time recommendations
- Highlight patterns, anomalies, relationships, and trends
- Support long-term solutions
- Inform decision making
- Wrangle constantly changing, large, complex, high volume, high dimensional, sparse data including both live and historical information on users and various forms of content
- Work with modelers who are subject matter experts to ensure that developed solutions are practical, meet business needs, and work within the existing infrastructure
- Work with model validators to determine constraints and failure conditions of your models and to document model properties including accuracy and reliability
- Work with engineers to productionize validated models
- Expertise in the principles and methods underlying various modeling algorithms
- Deep understanding of and experience with various statistical, machine learning, and data mining techniques that can be applied to large, complex data sets
- Ability to determine the appropriate model for a given question and a given dataset
- Ability to quickly learn new modeling methods or approaches when appropriate
- Ability to understand and clearly explain the tradeoffs between different models, algorithms, or metrics and how each would affect the validity and interpretability of the final output
- Experience querying, manipulating, and analyzing a variety of different types of data
- Advanced analytical and problem solving abilities and a flexible, curious approach to data
- Aptitude for and interest in working with modelers with extensive business experience to select appropriate features and learn how to ensure model practicality and utility to the business
- Ability to work independently or in conjunction with a team
- Strong commitment to data and model integrity
- PhD or equivalent methodological training is a plus
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.