Sr. Environment Artist – External Development (FTE)
Come join the team that developed the award-winning God of War! Santa Monica Studio is looking for a Sr. Environment Artist to partner with the external development group and work on all things environment art related. This is a hybrid role utilizing your skills in both art creation and mentor ship while actively working with an external team of artists.
The ideal candidate has experience and knowledge in creating high quality art assets from scratch, including sculpting, baking and texturing assets to final. You have a passion for building worlds in games and have created visually stunning levels on other titles. In this role you’ll be a key point of contact working with external artists, helping them to build worlds to the highest possible quality. When things are going smoothly with external efforts, you’ll be working on your own area internally, where you can polish up a level to the highest quality.
- Regularly represent the studio in external art related communication and discussion by mentoring and giving feedback to an external team of environment artists.
- Generate documentation for outsourcing assets, as well as the integration of assets, asset and texture optimization, and support for LOD and collision in the level design.
- A high-level contributor to the development of the artistic techniques and processes utilized to define and achieve a product’s visual style or encourage artistic evolution within the studio. Develop a comprehensive knowledge of the art production pipeline and all engine, tools and systems associated with the creation of art assets.
- Content creation, including environment 2D texture map painting, 3D modeling/sculpting, material setup/UV layout, and lighting according to defined quality standards, artistic styles, conceptual designs, development pipelines, technical parameters and production goals.
- Maintain the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring environment/level assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the games design and artistic vision of the game as a whole.
- Maintain a strong knowledge of the games design to support communication and enable early identification of issues, as well as help drive participation in discussions.
- Facilitates requests or info needs regarding any aspect of the environment/level art creation process as needed.
- Fully capable of resolving an assortment of moderately complex artistic development issues for both artists as well as other team members.
- Actively improves skill set and abilities by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- Skilled in level art workflow, including assembly, set dressing, lighting and asset composition across levels.
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills. Entails collaborating with Production group to develop task lists to ensure assignments are progressing in alignment with schedules, milestones and overall project goals.
- Clearly communicate updates and properly escalate concerns to the appropriate team member(s) and manager(s).
- May serve as an artistic resource for overall product or studio needs. This includes, but is not limited to conducting general research, developing cutting-edge techniques and testing new systems or tools, techniques, providing training, transmitting industry related information and conveying concerns.
- Minimum five years' industry experience or related experience.
- Two or more published titles considered a strength.
- Strong traditional fine art skills, training and production experience (illustration, painting, organic forms, color theory, perspective, 2D & 3D design.)
- Proficient in the use of Maya, Zbrush, Substance Designer / Painter and Photoshop.
- Familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture paining, surface sampling, particle systems, mapping techniques, UV layout, in-game animation, material setup, layout, SFX and engine parameters/optimizations.
- Previous or next-gen video game platform experience.
- Good communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Works under minimal direction to determine and develop approach to solutions.