PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Software Engineer, Retail (Back End)
Location: San Francisco, CA (SoMa)
PlayStation is the leading entertainment platform with 80 million daily active users in over 90 countries. Our network platform enables users to
- Buy and Play the most exclusive games on the device
- Stream and Play the best game titles online and enjoy the other platform games on PlayStation 4 online
- Watch live stream events, movies and TV
- Use the Social features to share and play among friends
- Use the third party applications for entertainment
Retail Platform Engineering at PlayStation enables services to handle over 8 million requests per second and support a business revenue of more than $12 Billion in 2018. We are the team behind the PlayStation Store tailoring our content to user behavior while scaling for our growing customer base and delivering low latency services to all the users from the furthest corners of the world. Our mission is to provide the highest level of performance and reliability for our customers. We work across all the teams at PlayStation Engineering and provide developer APIs to our Partners including big name game development studios, application developers and smaller independent developers around the world.
We are laying the groundwork for next few years of evolving and scaling out the platform. PlayStation Engineering at San Francisco is a lean fast paced team evolving, changing and experimenting with technologies, solving the problems of scaling, recommendations, latencies while keeping a check on cost and quality.
About the job:
- Help lead a team of engineers and cultivate innovation.
- Lead designs of major software components, systems, and features.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software.
- Manage individual projects priorities, deadlines and deliverables with your technical expertise.
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques, and coding standards
- You have 5-8 years of experience building distributed and scalable software
- You have built software using Java, Go, Kotlin or similar languages
- You have solid understanding of service oriented architecture and familiarity with microservices architecture
- You have knowledge of different data storage technologies like Cassandra, Couchbase etc
- You understand technologies like virtualization like Docker and Kubernetes
- You have good understanding of public cloud design like AWS or GCE
- You have demonstrated success in partnering with key stakeholders in previous roles
- Communication is your strong suit: in code, in email, and face-to-face
- You are not afraid to challenge status quo and think outside the box
- You get things done with minimum supervision
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.