PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Associate Japanese Translator
San Diego, CA (Sorrento Valley)
The role of this Associate Translator position is to provide various Japanese to English (and vice versa) translation and interpretation services to staff within Worldwide Studios (WWS) Quality Assurance and all relevant partners in order to support the development, execution, analysis and release of software and/or hardware for our PlayStation platform. This is an entry-level to mid-level position and it is expected a portion of the time will be spent on learning company processes for the business, although some prior professional experience as a translator is expected.
Providing written translations to and from Japanese and English
- Translation of emails between regions including updates of test progress, queries & concerns and any other business related correspondence that contributes towards global efforts.
- Translation of email correspondence between Directors/Managers that are based on any projects/agenda which involves cross regional staff.
- Translation of email correspondence for any teams supported including, but not limited to WWS, non-WWS teams, and any other relevant partners.
- Translation of documents including any attachments to emails, such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
- Assist the global translation team by providing translations of bug reports as required for various teams.
Providing verbal interpretation during meetings
- Provide consecutive interpretation services to support regular/one-off meetings in the following situations: Face-to-face, Video conference & Phone conference
- Provide simultaneous interpretation services to support summit-type meetings.
- Provide travel support (on-site, domestic & international) and business based cultural advice to staff working with his/her Japanese counterparts during trips to and from Japan, during meetings, and/or daily communication activities.
Coordinating with both local and global team members to ensure efficient translation support
- Collaborate with translators in all 3 regions to provide 24 hour translation support while ensuring no work is duplicated during the overlapping hours.
- Prioritize translation requests to ensure the most urgent requests are completed promptly.
- Update request tickets as appropriate with comments on the status and progress of assigned workload.
- Utilize and contribute to translation memory and glossaries.
- Attend regular team meetings held in your own region as well as with other regions to share operational updates and upcoming support.
Interaction with our customers
- Respond to translation or interpretation requests from our customers.
- Negotiate a due date with our customer according to our current work volume and available resources.
- Assess translation requests and provide cost or time estimates to our customers upon request.
Hiring, training, and overseeing junior translators
- Conduct resume screening and phone/in-person interviews to ensure that we hire new team members best fitted for the team.
- Provide on-the-job training (OJT) to new junior translators by explaining and demonstrating them how our daily operation works.
- Oversee junior translators on their performance and coach them as needed. If there are any issues with them, escalate to senior translators and the manager.
Activities supporting the translation service lifecycle (design, transition and improvement)
- Test new tools as requested to help define the best practices for the translation workflow.
- Work with senior translation staff to explore more efficient methods for translation services.
- Work with senior staff to learn and better understand business processes and procedures as well as to get experience of working with more of our global teams.
- Perform other duties that include the above services but are not limited to these activities.
Providing ad-hoc translation and interpretation support
- During core business hours, provide emergency on-call translation/interpretation support between impacted parties and Japanese stakeholders. This may involve a short teleconference, email correspondence translation support, or direct on-site support to resolve any urgent situations.
- Act as a secondary point of contact so that where possible, the same on-call translation/interpretation support outside of core business hours can be provided.
- Associate degree or equivalent work experience.
- Ability to work with various global teams. The ideal individual for this position will be very customer oriented and able to work with diverse groups easily. It is expected in this entry-level to mid-level position that some learning and networking will take place to allow this individual to grow into mid-level positions and as such every effort should be made to learn the teams, personnel, and needs of the various regions.
- Ability to follow outlined processes and procedures as well as provide feedback to senior team members on ideas for improvements.
- A person in this role should understand basic office applications such as MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, and Outlook.
- Either native Japanese speaker (TOEIC 900 or higher in English) or native English speaker (JLPT N1 in Japanese). Japanese translation skill is expected to be at a level to perform well in a fast paced and professional business environment. Particular prior business or professional experience is preferred. The ideal candidate should be able to translate both conversationally and in more technical or professional presentations or meetings that have industry specific terminology used.
- General knowledge of both game development and general software development industries is highly suggested. Understanding of test policies, team configurations, and global QA operations is also suggested but not required for this position.
- At least 2 years of prior work experience as a translator.
- A degree from a four-year college.
- Related industry experience (in video-gaming, QA, IT, Translation/Interpretation).
- Holding Translation/Interpretation program certification.
- Strong knowledge/interest in video-gaming industry.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.