PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Character TD
This is a 12-month contracted position through our staffing partner Yoh Services with a high likelihood of extension.
San Diego, CA
Sony PlayStation’s Visual Arts Services Group (VASG) on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development and services to Worldwide Studios. Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and companies. This is your opportunity to work closely with game and film industry professionals from all over the world and under one roof!
We are looking for an experienced Character Technical Director to join our sunny San Diego, California development team. This role requires strong Maya rigging/setup skills as well as understanding of anatomy and realistic deformation to deliver consistent results that are done efficiently, timely, meeting the technical/animation requirements, and most importantly maintaining the industry-leading quality PlayStation’s award-winning first party lineup is known for.
- Set up and maintain character (humans and animals) rigs.
- Work with art team to generate models that meet deformation requirements.
- Work with animation team to create artist-friendly rigs that satisfy animation and gameplay needs.
- Set up character dynamics (i.e. cloth, hair).
- Create and support rigging/animation tools as needed.
- Provide and maintain technical documentation.
Required Experience and Skills
- Strong knowledge of Maya, with minimum of 4 years of production experience in game or film/vfx fields.
- Understanding of character/prop rigging techniques and principles.
- Familiarity with figure and facial anatomy.
- Experience in adopting production pipelines and following guidelines and system requirements.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and the ability to find pragmatic solutions.
- Python and Maya scripting proficiency.
- Proven ability to be self-sufficient and be proactive in preventing/solving production issues.
- Effective communication skills.
Maya API (Python and/or C++)
Familiarity in runtime performance efficiency and optimization
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.