Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Senior Level Designer
Santa Monica Studio is seeking a Senior Level Designer!
The Sr Level Designer will design and implement gameplay, taking direction from the Lead Level Designers and Project Directors. Sr Level Designers should demonstrate an ability to take a level design from concept to completion, including Blockmesh layout, event scripting, encounter design and a strong sense of pacing. Senior Designers should show their ability to partner with the Production team as well as demonstrate clear communication across other disciplines.
- 2D map creation and documentation
- 3D Blockout creation and level scripting.
- Creation of Level pacing that emphasizes Encounter, Puzzle, Exploration and Narrative pacing
- Clearly communicate the level’s design by: leading design discussion and reviews, participating in and/or lead level-production related meetings.
- Contribute to in-house staff education of technical level design issues and tools.
- Form positive working relationships and demonstrate design process with other Designers, Design Director, Game Director, Design Manager, Art Director, Lead Artist, Lead Programmer, Lead Animator, etc.
- Collaborate with Design Director, Leads and Design Manager during the product development cycle regarding creative and/or production related topics.
- Possess comprehensive knowledge of Maya, engine tools and processes, or other 3D world building software.
- Fundamental knowledge of game design and ability to implement 3D environment building, entities, rough cameras, creating gameplay scenarios, using design system tools as needed.
- Design any element in game including:
• navigation/platforming challenges
• building 3D environments
• modeling and texturing
• designing and implementing fun/challenging AI layouts
• scripting events
• placing rough cameras, including animated and entity-triggered cameras
• sound implementation
• level warping and game-flow
• cinematic placement and triggering
- 5 plus years in game development, with at least 3 year in Level Design specific role.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.