PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Data Scientist, Business Intelligence Services (BIS)
PlayStation HQ in San Mateo, CA
Data Scientists in the BIS team apply advanced analytical methods and tools to drive value from the data through techniques such as customer segmentation, predictive modelling, forecasting and other algorithms. Our work delivers an in depth understanding of consumer behaviors and support multi-channel targeting and personalization.
Work with our globally distributed agile team to support stakeholders such as marketing, CRM, product planning and development, R&D and retail.
Understand what makes our customers tick through data. Use inter-personal and technical skills to engage with engineering and product management teams to make it happen.
Requirements gathering through data modelling and processing; carrying out segmentation or building predictive models; experimentation and testing and building reusable data products.
Passionate about turning large volumes of data into actionable insight and have the blend of commercial and technical skills required to do so.
Global role supporting colleagues in other US offices (primarily San Mateo and San Diego CA), Europe and Japan.
The responsibilities listed are not all inclusive and additional duties may be assigned.
- Delivery of analytical activities, such as customer behavior segmentation or predictive modelling
- Apply appropriate statistical techniques and understand consumer behavior
- Design, build and support reusable data analysis structures within the technical environment
- Gather requirements from stakeholders, prepare and present analysis results
- Communicate findings to other technical and non-technical teams
- Facilitate cultural adaption to enable a data driven business
- Maintain and enhance BIS reputation and profile within the business
- Some travel may be required, usually to Sony offices in California, London or Tokyo
- Solid theoretical and practical understanding of Machine Learning and Statistics
- Strength working with large data sets: SQL
- Fluency in performing data analysis/modeling using Python (numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, etc.)
- Exposure to analytical computing tools, like Apache Spark (pyspark, MLLib)
- Exposure to cloud platform, like AWS
- Plus: Visual analytical tools such as Tableau
- Master’s degree in a relevant technical or mathematical field
- Exceptional analytical, quantitative, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills
- Strong written & verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.