PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sr. UX Researcher
San Francisco, CA (SOMA District)
This is a fantastic opportunity to join the UX Research Team and become a key player in impacting the product and design strategy of PlayStation’s products and services, and the future of interactive entertainment. As Senior UX Researcher, you are responsible for leading a broad range User Experience (UX) Research projects. In collaboration with UX Design, Product Management, Engineering and other stakeholders, you will identify the appropriate UX research methods/activities for each project and for coordinating user research activities across numerous products, services, and platforms.
As an ideal candidate, you are experienced in Generative Research (qualitative and quantitative), Concept Research, and Evaluative Research. Your role is to complement business strategy, inform product and design direction, and help deliver best-in-class innovative user experiences. You let your passion shine by consistently advocating for users need and collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to implement the best solutions to user problems. You provide valuable feedback to both peers and managers and are a model to junior researchers. You have an excellent understanding of the UX Design process, principles and patterns, and technological capabilities/limitations.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Own and conduct end-to-end UX Research - from foundational research to inform product direction, all the way to concept and usability testing.
- Conduct Generative Research and format findings in impactful UX deliverables including user personas, mental model maps, journey maps, user-flows, etc.
- Translate development goals and strategies into research opportunities.
- Be accountable for ensuring that research deliverables are high quality and meet the established standards and guidelines and go beyond “bullet points”.
- Manage communication with stakeholders, including designers, product managers, project managers and engineers inside various divisions.
- Act as a coach and mentor, as well as leading other researchers toward innovative and creative thinking when approaching research challenges.
- Spearhead initiatives to create new and evolve existing research methods and processes by staying up-to-date with innovations in the industry.
- Manage partner agencies and consultants, directing their efforts through clear input and feedback to ensure high quality deliverables that suit the needs of the internal stakeholders.
- Minimum BA/BS degree in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Human Factors, Psychology, UX Design, related field or equivalent experience.
- 6+ years of UX Research, and related experience, demonstrated in a portfolio of projects.
- Proven track record of conducting generative and evaluative research projects.
- A robust understanding of industry-standard UX research methods including ethnographic methods (e.g. in-depth interview, group interviews), evaluative methods (e.g. concept testing, in-lab/remote usability testing, tree testing, etc.), and quantitative methods (surveys, behavioral analytics, etc.).
- Expert-level knowledge of multiple UX research techniques. Mastery of quantitative techniques and applied statistics a plus.
- Experience providing research and deep insights leading to compelling and quality interfaces.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and sustain internal and external partnerships.
- Deep experience working within a technical (preferably agile) environment.
- Knowledge of, and passion for gaming, media and software industries is a big plus.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.