PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
This is a high-visibility technical leadership position with Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) platform engineering organization to establish a highly available, fault-tolerant, globally distributed data platform and services. Our data platform serves the global, fast growing PlayStation Network customer base. This key role will lead the technology transformation of the network data platform including existing and new services supporting the dramatic customer growth on the platform.
Let's talk, if:
- You are passionate about making distributed systems better and have an insatiable thirst to keep learning.
- You have deep expertise in system engineering and have successfully improved the performance of the software stack.
- You know how to troubleshoot complicated issues throughout the software stack.
- You have implemented rigorous best practices for measuring, understanding, predicting, and improving the performance of enterprise grade systems (even better if they happen to be Data oriented).
- You know how to build strong partnership with Architects to influence technology decisions.
- You have led a development community establishing and influencing quality engineering best practices across the development community.
The role requires partnering across Product Management, Architects, Engineering, Hosting and Operations. Position requires extensive hands-on technical expertise coupled with ingenuity, eCommerce platform domain expertise, associated technology product knowledge, broad industry knowledge and excellent communication skills.
Performs a key role in the evolution of a high performance data platform and associated services, applying industry standard best practices and implementation to enable highly available, active-active, extensible data services for the SIE platform
Plays a senior role in design, development and quality, working closely with engineering and quality teams.
Works cross-functionally with Product and Operations teams to drive quality and including performance testing strategy and initiatives, define workflows and performance requirements. Develops test scripts and scenarios to meet these requirements.
Participates in product road-map discussions and identify key areas for improvement in the product and incorporates these goals into ongoing & future development initiatives.
- BS Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years’ experience in software development, expert level of Java programming, design, and analysis.
- Experience delivering high performance, active-active, scalable services (Enterprise Java/J2EE, Web Services, Big Data/NoSQL).
- Track record monitoring and analyzing system performance, isolating issues or bottlenecks that could impact reliability, performance and scalability.
- Strong knowledge of SQL and NoSQL programming (Oracle, Cassandra, Amazon Aurora, DynamoDB or similar) including both relational database schema designs and schema-less systems.
- Hands-on experience in Amazon Web Services, at enterprise scale is required including familiarity with DynamoDB, Aurora, EC2, and other AWS services.
- Experience executing performance testing and/or development efforts for a complex, high throughput system.
- Solid understanding of the path(s) customer requests take from web browser to back-end.
- Extensive experience with agile development methodologies and test driven development processes required.
- Must possess the drive and passion for quality with the ability to inspire, excite and motivate other team members.
- Must possess outstanding verbal and written communication skills, and be able to work with others at all levels, effective at working with geographically remote and culturally diverse teams.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.