PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
This internship is for Summer 2019.
Come join the award-winning God of War development team! This intern position will be supporting the Sony Santa Monica Studio in building upon our commitment to quality and excellence. Contribute to the artistic vision and development of a product with a specialized focus on creating environment/level visual effects utilizing a combination of traditional fine art and technical art skills.
A VFX artist must possess the ability to effectively collaborate with a wide-range of development team members outside of their direct discipline such as the Art Director, Designers, Technical Artist, Animators, Programmers and Producers to optimally achieve artistic goals and implementation as they relate to design and technological considerations.
- Ensure visual effects assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the game’s design and artistic vision of the game as a whole.
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of the VFX art production pipeline and all engine, tools and systems associated with the creation of VFX assets.
- Research and gather reference materials, artistic direction, additional information, and technological considerations to effectively meet defined goals.
- Capable of resolving an assortment of moderately complex artistic development issues for both artists as well as other team members.
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills. This entails collaborating with the Production group to develop task lists to ensure assignments are progressing as expected according to schedules, milestones and overall project goals.
- A Junior, Senior, or graduate student currently enrolled in a BA or MA program majoring in Fine Arts, Visual Art, Studio Art, Computer Animation, Interactive Entertainment, Illustration or related field.
- Strong traditional fine art skills, (illustration, painting, organic forms, color theory, perspective, 2D & 3D design.)
- Maya (or 3D modeling package) and Photoshop. Houdini/ After FX experience desirable. Z-Brush/Mudbox/Premiere/After FX experience desirable. Familiarity with Dynamics and Simulations packages is a plus.
- Some familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, particle systems, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture paining, texture/UV animation, UV layout, in-game and sprite animation, dynamics and simulations, material setup, and engine parameters/optimizations desirable.
- Familiarity with real-time VFX creation tools. (Unreal, Unity, etc.)
- Excellent communication, time-management and organizational skills. A strong ability to work across multiple disciplines to gather feedback and address cross-functional issues. Penchant for practical innovation and the ability to bring new ideas to the table.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.