Sony Bend Studio, the creator of Days Gone, Syphon Filter and Uncharted: Golden Abyss, is looking for top talent to join our in passionate team.
We are seeking a Senior Staff Technical Shader Artist who will contribute to the artistic vision and development of a AAA product with a specialized focus on creating photo real physically based shaders utilizing a combination of traditional fine art and technical art skills.
- Conceptualize and create a plan for building textures sets based on written design descriptions and concept art. Responsible for combining disparate parts and pieces into a visually unified whole, including organic and inorganic terrain, props, architecture and vista elements.
- Contribute to the development of the artistic techniques and processes utilized to define and achieve a product’s visual style and encourage artistic evolution within the studio. This entails expanding methods to improve the production pipelines, tools, processes, and visual integrity.
- Independently undertakes research and information gathering prior to the commencement of a new task to ensure game design needs, reference materials, artistic direction, and technological considerations are effectively managed to meet the defined goals.
- Actively advances skill set, abilities and then shares this knowledge by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills. This entails collaborating with the production group to manage responsibilities to ensure set goals will be met from a scope, schedule, and artistic perspective.
- Push the envelope of what is possible within real time technical limitations.
- May provides input into the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring texture assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the games design and artistic vision of the game as a whole.
- May serve as an artistic resource for other areas of production or studio art needs. This includes, but is not limited to conducting general research, developing cutting-edge techniques, and testing new systems or tools. Providing training, transmitting industry related information and conveying concerns in a constructive way by providing realistic solutions to those concerns.
- May also have a leadership role within the art team. This entails contributing to schedule management needs, providing guidance to support the diplomatic resolution of complex problems, providing input on team performance reviews, and facilitating career coaching.
- Highly proficient in the use of Photoshop to manipulate photo source and create realistic, tillable, textures that match the artistic style of the defined art direction. This requires mastery of 2D art skills like composition, drawing, painting, and color theory. The ability to analyze photo source or concept art and turn them into real-time render able assets.
- Proficient in the use of 3D modeling software to texture models within the defined specs and guidelines. This requires extensive knowledge of UV tools and methods.
- Proficient in the use of Z-Brush or Mud box to create normal maps, heights maps and displacement maps when necessary to achieve the desired visual depth.
- Experience with physically based shader texture sets and pipelines.
- Preferred Experience with Unreal 3 or Unreal 4
- Strong reading and comprehension skills to have a complete understanding of complex process documents, design documents, and written assignments. The ability to communicate complex processes effectively either individually with team members, or within group settings. The ability to write short reports and process documents when needed in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong time management skills, with the ability to break down tasks and assignments and prioritize them into workable pieces on a daily, weekly, and project length basis. Works independently and conscientiously with minimal supervision. Able to manage long-term projects, creating and following a comprehensive schedule for the creation of complex assets for game levels, and other game related assets. Able to complete tasks and assignments quickly with limited need for revision rework.
- Strong data management skills, with the ability to manage and track large amounts of data as they go through the art pipeline with attention to naming conventions, directory structures, and other processes.
- Able to train, tutor, and mentor multiple artists, help assess their needs for growth and learning, able to document, report, and help review their work when needed.
- Extensive portfolio with examples of current hands-on work, including shaders, textures, and texture mapped assets and fully rendered scenes.
- 5+ years of experience as a Shader/Materials Artist in the video game industry
- One or two years of post-high school education or training
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.