PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sr Manager, Corporate Development (M&A)
San Mateo, CA
SIE seeks a highly qualified candidate for the position of Senior Manager, Corporate Development. SIE’s Corporate Development Team works closely with SIE’s management team and is responsible for identifying inorganic growth opportunities through acquisitions, investments or joint ventures. The team sources, evaluates and executes transactions that are aligned with SIE’s strategic priorities and drive significant long-term value for the company.
The foundational work of the team involves developing market insights through strong internal and external relationships to identify attractive M&A and investment opportunities. Opportunities are assessed based on rigorous investment criteria and evaluation by internal stakeholders. Members of the team will develop the business case (including synergies) and drive internal alignment on strategic fit and the post-deal plan. The team works collaboratively across all functions and services at SIE.
This is a high profile and challenging role with significant executive exposure. The Director is expected to bring significant expertise of the video gaming space, as well as strategic problem-solving and deal/investment experience. The position offers unique opportunities at the convergence of the global media and technology industries, and a chance to influence the evolution of this fast moving sector.
- Work with Strategic Planning, Strategic Alliances and other internal stakeholders to continuously refine the major strategic themes that guide SIE’s M&A strategy
- Be a thought-leader within the organization, particularly with respect to the strategic themes and the external landscape of competitors and potential targets
- Drive proactive deal sourcing, including developing relationships with external and internal stakeholders
- Run a tight and rigorous target evaluation process with clear decision criteria and in-depth analysis
- Lead the development of recommendations to senior executives and guide the alignment process for proposed M&A projects
- Shepherd the deal execution process, including due diligence, valuation and approvals
- Build and maintain relationships with business unit leaders within SIE and across the other Sony teams to facilitate discovery of opportunities and alignment on projects
- Stay apprised of key business metrics and broader industry developments
- Help build and manage a talented and motivated Corporate Development team
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA (QUALIFICATIONS):
- 8+ years of corporate development, investment banking, investing or strategy experience, preferably with exposure to the video gaming or Media & Entertainment spaces
- Experience evaluating inorganic growth opportunities, including identifying key strategic themes, building financial models and presentations and driving the target evaluation process
- Demonstrated track record of in all parts of the end-to-end M&A process for both large and small transactions, including acquisitions, joint ventures and investments
- Strategic, quantitative and financial modelling skills, including the ability to structure the rationale for M&A recommendations and to support it with data and financial models
- Data savvy with the ability to drill down and identify key drivers and communicate insightful, actionable recommendations
- Excellent interpersonal skills and executive presence
- Strong project management skills and demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally in a matrixed organization
- Strong team-player with a reputation for great people management and development
- Ability to work with multiple cultures and to tailor work style and messaging to function effectively across globally distributed management teams
- BA required, MBA from a top institution preferred
- International experience is a plus
- Experience working for a major video gaming or entertainment company a plus
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.