Sony Bend Studio, the creator of Days Gone, Syphon Filter and Uncharted: Golden Abyss, is looking for top talent to join our passionate team.
We are seeking a Senior Staff Technical Artist who will contribute to the artistic vision and development of a AAA product with a specialized focus on creating art tools, techniques, and processes for game development.
- Responsible for creating tools and processes that assist in all areas of art creation to achieve the highest artistic quality with the least amount of overhead.
- Mentoring other tech artists, creating character rigs, face rigs, art optimization, and tool development.
- Help define the technical quality standards, overseeing the development of art pipelines, and setting technical production goals.
- Work closely with the Tech Art Director, Art Director, and character modeling team to create and define high quality character deformation.
- Contribute to the development of artistic techniques and processes utilized to define and achieve a product’s visual style and encourage artistic technical evolution within the studio. This entails expanding methods to improve the production pipeline, tools, and processes to create the desired quality as efficiently as possible.
- Has a leadership role within the art team. This entails contributing to schedule management needs, providing guidance to support the diplomatic resolution of complex problems, providing input on team performance reviews.
- Trains and mentors tech artists in developing advanced technical skills.
- Develop character rigs and skeletons that meet the technical limitations of game engines while insuring the characters movements look as realistic as possible.
- Develop and implement skinning methods to achieve realistic deformation for faces, bodies, and clothes, including the creation of tools and scripts to assist in completing these tasks quickly and efficiently during production.
- Develop animation tools to assist in the creation of character animation and motion capture clean up, using layers, blends, FK and IK setups, etc.
- Work directly with animation programmers to implement all in-game animations defined by the game design and within technical limitations.
- Keeps aware of industry trends and technical techniques, evaluates competitive products, and determines areas we can improve or innovate in to best the competition, communicates innovations in a convincing way, and collaborates with the leadership team to develop plans for implementation.
- Provides input on the technical methods to achieve the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring characters are of the highest technical quality and uphold the integrity of the games design and artistic vision as a whole.
- Serves as a technical resource for all phases of production and other studio art needs. This includes, but is not limited to conducting general research, developing cutting-edge tools and techniques, and testing new systems or tools. Providing training, transmitting industry related information and conveying concerns in a constructive way by providing solutions to those concerns.
- Independently undertakes research and information gathering prior to the commencement of a new task to ensure game design needs, reference materials, artistic direction, and technological considerations are all effectively managed to meet the defined goals.
- Possess excellent time management and prioritization skills. This entails collaborating with the production groups to manage responsibilities and to ensure set goals will be met from a scope, schedule, and artistic perspective.
- Must possess ability to collaborate at a high level with a wide-range of development team members outside of direct discipline such as Directors, Designers, Technical Artist, Animators, and Programmers to achieve the highest artistic goals with the fastest implementation as they relate to game design and technological considerations.
- Excellent reading and comprehension skills to have complete understanding of complex process documents, design documents, and written assignments.
- The ability to communicate complex processes effectively either individually with team members, or within group settings.
- The ability to write short reports and process documents when needed in a clear and concise manner.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to break down tasks and assignments and prioritize them into workable pieces on a daily, weekly, and project length basis.
- Works independently and conscientiously with minimal supervision.
- Able to manage long-term projects, creating and following a comprehensive schedule for the creation of complex assets such as game levels, animation systems, and character systems, etc.
- Able to complete tasks and assignments quickly with little or no need for iterative or revision rework.
- Excellent data management skills, with the ability to manage and track large amounts of data as they go through the art pipeline, with attention to naming conventions, directory structures, and other processes.
- Able to train and mentor multiple artists, help assess their needs for growth and learning, as well as document, report, and help review their work, when needed.
- Expert understanding of Python and QT.
- Expert understanding of Maya and the Maya API
- Extensive portfolio with examples of current, hands-on work, including human, creature, and animal rigs. Examples of cinematic quality face rigs.
- Multiple examples of tools and scripts to assist in the creation of all types of art assets from particles to characters.
- Some previous or next-gen video game platform experience is desirable (e.g. PS4, Xbox-One.)
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.