PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Lead Character Artist
Sony PlayStation Visual Arts provides world-class content, development and services to Worldwide Studios. We offer a full-service production studio with an emphasis in art, animation, as well as previsualization, character creation, motion capture, software development, face/body scanning, tracking and solving.
We are looking for a highly talented, motivated and creative Lead Character Artist for the next chapter of cinematic story-telling. Here is your chance to be a part of the multi-award winning team responsible for the cinematic performances in premier Sony PlayStation franchises like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Killzone, and other iconic series.
Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and companies: Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, Guerrilla Games, Japan Studios, and other Sony PlayStation first-party studios. This is your opportunity to work closely with game and film industry professionals from all over the world and under one roof!
- Use exceptional modeling and texturing ability to create photo-realistic living, breathing characters with personality.
- Develop and lead a team of character artists capable of delivering the highest quality in character artwork to our clients.
- Work with the Art Manager and Production department to deliver work estimates for character creation across all projects.
- Work with external clients to understand project scope and requirements as well as provide feedback and advice.
- Work with the technical teams to improve the production processes, tools and pipelines for character creation.
- Create documentation, communicate requirements, and provide feedback to internal artists and outsourcing partners.
- 7+ years’ experience as a professional character artist in AAA games and/or film.
- At least 1 year as a Lead or Supervisor on a film and/or AAA games.
- At least 1 shipped AAA title as a Senior, Lead or Supervisor.
- Bachelor of art degree or equivalent industry experience and training
- Portfolio of realistic, highly detailed, 3D character models, with highly realistic textures (skin, hair, worn fabric/accessories, etc.), accurate anatomy, detailed clothing, etc.
- Mastery of standard art packages such as Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush and Substance Designer.
- Good communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills.
- Experience working with a game engine and implementing 3D work into engine.
- Strong leadership, mentoring and teaching abilities.
- Experience with Marvelous Design, Mari, Agisoft, Substance, Mudbox.
- Experience with photogrammetry scanning and tools.
- Python scripting experience considered a plus
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.