PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Lead Shading Artist
Sony PlayStation’s Visual Arts Services Group (VASG) on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development and services to Worldwide Studios. We offer a full-service production studio with an emphasis in art and animation, as well as previsualization, cinematics, character creation, motion capture, software development, and face/body scanning, tracking and solving.
We are looking for a highly talented, motivated and creative Lead Shading Artist. In this role, you will help supervise a team to create the highest-quality game shaders possible. Become a part of the Visual Arts Services Group, a multi-award winning team responsible for the cinematic performances in premier Sony PlayStation franchises like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Killzone, and other iconic series.
Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and companies: Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, Guerrilla Games, Japan Studios, and other Sony PlayStation first-party studios. This is your opportunity to work closely with game and film industry professionals from all over the world and under one roof!
- Content creation of shaders and textures across all areas of the game ranging from natural environmental shaders, VFX shaders, and character shaders.
- Develop and lead a team of shader artists capable of delivering AAA quality game shaders.
- Work with the project Art Director to ensure a consistent style and quality level across all the game’s shaders.
- Work with and mentor shader artists to provide clear direction and set expectations for aesthetic and technical requirements.
- Work with the Art Manager and Production department to deliver time estimates for shader development.
- Work with the render engineers to develop new, or improve upon existing technologies for pushing the bar of game shaders, both visually and technically.
- Create documentation, communicate requirements, and provide feedback to internal artists.
- 7+ years’ experience as a professional shader or look-dev artist in AAA games and/or film.
- At least 1 year as a Lead or Supervisor on a film and/or AAA games.
- At least 1 shipped AAA title as a Senior, Lead or Supervisor.
- Bachelor of art degree or equivalent industry experience and training
- Portfolio of realistic, high-quality real-time shader work.
- Mastery of standard art packages such as Maya and Photoshop.
- Thorough understanding of shader techniques as applied to real-time graphics.
- Good communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills.
- Experience working with a game engine and implementing 3D work into engine.
- Strong leadership, mentoring and teaching abilities
- Experience with Unreal Engine and Unity.
- Python scripting experience.
- C++ programming experience.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.