Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Lead Environment Artist
San Diego, CA (Sorrento Valley)
Are you an experienced Environment Artist looking to join a team to help create stunning environments and stories? Then this opportunity is for you!
This position is to work on a high visibility, yet unannounced AAA project within Sony San Diego’s Visual Arts Services Group (VASG), an award-winning, full-production studio that specializes in Animation, Motion Capture, Cinematics, Art and Scanning. This is the same world-class team known for its contributions to beloved franchises like Uncharted, Death Stranding, God of War and more. For more than a decade, we have shared knowledge, support and cutting-edge techniques with the very best developers in the industry: Naughty Dog, Kojima Productions, Guerrilla Games, Santa Monica Studios, Sucker Punch Productions, Bend Studio, Japan Studio, Insomniac Games and more.
- Lead a team of environment artist to create realistic natural and architectural game environments for AAA console titles.
- Build and train a team of environment artists and worldbuilders to create the levels and environment art to uphold the visual direction of the games.
- Manage environments from grey box to final engine implementation including geometry, shaders, textures, and engine-specific elements.
- Create in-game art assets with an understanding of form, structure, construction, composition, light and color design.
- Create and/or modify existing hard surface, in-organic and organic environment assets. .
- Use a strong sense of environmental storytelling and motivated-design to set dress levels with an eye to the visual benchmark and gameplay elements.
- Provide daily reviews and concise feedback to maintain art quality, technical specifications, memory budget and game design for all levels.
- Work with Art Director to set the visual bar across all environments.
- Receive and provide feedback for both aesthetic and functional purposes.
- Test levels and assess both aesthetics, design and in-game performance.
- Create and supervise the creation of proxy mesh/gray box art assets with Art Director and Game Designers.
- Help maintain as well as grow the art production pipeline.
- Collaborate with internal outsourcing managers for asset creation and delivery.
- An deep understanding of high quality and efficient organic and inorganic game art asset creation including vehicles, plants, geological features and buildings.
- An advanced understanding of Maya, Photoshop and Substance Designer/Painter.
- Advanced knowledge of physically based rendering (PBR, PBM, PBL)
- Ability to use in-game technology to finalize the look of assets and environments.
- Experience with and understanding of in-game testing and optimization of frame rate, memory and performance while balancing aesthetic goals.
- Highly-motivated self-starter able to implement the vision of an environment with minimal direction.
- Experience with Scanning/Photogrammetry tools and pipelines such as AGISoft, Reality Capture
- Experience working with external outsource vendors (OS).
- Understanding of the technical and artistic aspects of level lighting.
- Mari, Marvelous Designer, Vegetation creation tools experience a plus.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.