Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Senior/Lead Audio Researcher
PlayStation HQ in San Mateo, CA
We will consider Senior plus level professional experience
We have an exciting opportunity here at Sony Interactive Entertainment, PlayStation! We seek a researcher to join our audio R&D team to improve and develop spatial audio rendering techniques. In this position you will delve into HRTF creation and assessment, spatial audio rendering algorithms, and related technologies. You will be a part of an international team pushing the boundaries of audio for developers and listeners alike! As a part of R&D, you may have the opportunity to experience and contribute to new and exciting technologies. If this is you please apply!
- Lead research activities in spatial audio, psychoacoustics, and other audio related fields
- Research and evaluate solutions for HRTF capture
- Research and investigate solutions for HRTF synthesis (FEM, ML, etc)
- Research and evaluate user/subjective HRTF selection methods
- Research and evaluate Ambisonics encoding and rendering methods for interactive audio
- Create quality enhancing post-processing methods and tools for recorded HRTF library
- Evaluate other spherical harmonics encoding and rendering methods
- Create and evaluate spatial audio optimization/calibration for loudspeaker configurations
- Investigate and research multi-listener binaural loudspeaker rendering
- Evaluate binaural rendering algorithm and data optimizations
- Identify and evaluate user features relating to audio perception
- Develop methods or technologies to enhance or emphasize headphone-based audio experience
- Create specifications and assist platform developers in implementing chosen
- Create tools for data driven and automated validation
- Evaluate audio compression schemes and their effects on spatial perception
- Advise and assist in creation of spatial acuity user listening tests
- Investigate acoustic room/space modeling from microphone input
- Investigate acoustic room/space modeling from point-cloud data and 3d-meshes
- Research resource constrained reverberation rendering and similar effects
- Research microphone beam-forming for source localization
- Experience in formal researcher role and environment
- Experience with acoustics and psychoacoustics
- MATLAB, or similar, proficiency
- Digital signal processing experience
- C/C++ programming experience
- HRTF modeling familiarity
- Embedded systems or IC development
- Professional audio design & engineering
- Exposure to debugging tools on Linux & Windows
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.