PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Environment Artist
San Diego, CA
Sony PlayStation’s Visual Arts Services Group (VASG) on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development and services to PlayStation Studios such as Insomniac Games, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, Bend Studio Guerilla Games, and more! Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and companies.
You're a creative and passionate artist who lives for world building and crafting environments that tell a story. You're inspired to achieve only the highest of quality in your work and want to contribute to the artistic vision and development of the industry's most anticipated AAA games.
We are looking for a highly talented and motivated Senior Environment Artist to work on an unannounced AAA project. Come work with our Art Lead and Studio Art Director to create both in-game and in-game cinematic quality environments and props within a range of styles.
Your ability to build environments from both detailed concepts and a single photograph is required.
- Create models and assemble scenes for both architectural and organic environments.
- Troubleshoot levels and maintain them to stay in frame rate, memory and design spec.
Requirements and Skills:
- 4+ years’ experience in games modeling environments using Maya, or related experience/software.
- High level understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling.
- Strong experience and techniques in creating plants, shrubs and vines using cards/flats.
- Strong artistic ability to visualize entire levels and detail with minimal concept art and direction.
- Strong technical ability to manage assets to fit memory, design, and frame rate limits.
- Strong polygonal modeling skills- able to generate clean and efficient models at a very fast pace.
- Self-motivated- requires minimal direction, can carry on the vision for the level until completion.
- Good communication skills—able to help others and ask for help when needed. Being proactive in sharing info and assets.
- Team-player attitude—flexible and encouraged to add new insights, is open to direction and changes.
- Detail oriented—ability to manage and prioritize work, is flexible in times of change.
- Foundation in the traditional arts.
As a part of the PlayStation application process, candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of their work and may be asked to complete an art test, in addition to a phone screen.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.