Sony Bend Studio, the creator of Days Gone, Syphon Filter and Uncharted: Golden Abyss, is looking for top talent to join our in passionate team in creating a new AAA PlayStation 4 exclusive.
We are seeking a Senior Concept Artist who will contribute to the artistic vision and development of a AAA product
- Create concept art that drives the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails creating concepts for all art assets including environments, characters, props, storyboards etc., while upholding the integrity of the games design, and the artistic vision of the game as a whole.
- Responsible for creating concept art that dictates the lighting and color palette throughout the game. This is integral to the entire game, and includes creating color keys for the environments, characters, and cinematics that match the emotional intention of the game design and story beats.
- Responsible for visual development of all game worlds and locations, working under the Lead Concept artist to conceptualize worlds and level locations. This also includes conceptualizing vistas or creating matte paintings throughout the game that provide opportunities to showcase the world outside of the gameplay areas, and demonstrate the full capabilities of the studio’s rendering engine and current hardware platform.
- Maintain a good knowledge of the games design as a whole to facilitate communication and enable early identification of potential artistic issues.
- New IP visual explorations for future game titles, which includes developing multiple artistic styles and options to choose from during pre-production.
- Keeps aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluates competitive products, and determines areas to improve or innovate in to best the competition, communicates artistic innovations in a convincing way, and collaborates with the leadership team to develop plans for implementation.
- May provide input into the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring environment/level assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the games design and artistic vision of the game as a whole.
- May also have a leadership role within the art team. This entails contributing to schedule management needs, providing guidance to support the diplomatic resolution of complex problems, providing input on team performance reviews, and facilitating career coaching.
- Mastery of traditional art skills including composition, painting, drawing, sketching, lighting, perspective and color theory.
- Expert in the use of Photoshop/Painter as well as traditional painting/rendering techniques.
- Proven ability to create visually interesting 3D spaces. Some understanding of 3D modeling software to create initial mockups or manipulate existing 3D files a plus.
- Extensive portfolio with examples of current, hands-on work, including concept art, production designs, storyboards and other visual images that demonstrate complex artistic goals in simple to follow visual images.
- Familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, limits of technology, matte painting, color keys, character turnarounds, story boards, marketing materials, and graphic design.
- Strong reading and comprehension skills to have complete understanding of complex process documents, design documents, and written assignments. The ability to communicate effectively either individually with team members, or within group settings. The ability to write short reports and process documents when needed
- Strong time management skills, with the ability to break down tasks and assignments and prioritize them into workable pieces on a daily, weekly, and project length basis. Work independently and conscientiously with minimal supervision. Able to manage long-term projects, creating and following a comprehensive schedule for the creation of complex assets such as game levels, animation systems, character systems, etc. Able to complete tasks and assignments quickly with little need for iterative rework.
- Strong data management skills, with the ability to manage and track large amounts of data as they go through the art pipeline, with minute attention to naming conventions, directory structures, and other processes.
- 3-5 years of experience in a production environment, be it games, film, and/or television.
- One or two years of post-high school education or training