Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Senior Technical Animator
Come join the award-winning God of War development team! Sony Santa Monica is looking for a Senior Technical Animator to partner with the Gameplay Engineering, Animation, and Tech Art teams to drive the development of animation features, systems, and pipelines.
- Collaborate with engineering, design, tech art, and animation teams to prototype features, drive the development of animation systems, and provide solutions to in game animation
- A deep understanding of animation pipelines and the scripting experience to define and improve production pipelines and tools
- Work with programmers and technical artists to maintain technical requirements involving all tool and pipeline development
- Communicate across departments and support the teams in the integration of animations into the game engine by authoring animation blends, tags and best practices
- Debug animation related problems related to compression and blending
- Improve character animation pipeline and support driving new animation technology
- Work in a team-oriented environment and use organizational and interpersonal skills on a daily basis and bring a creative and proactive attitude to the task of animating performances
- Actively advances skill set and abilities by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods
- Expert knowledge of motion capture processes and data manipulation
- High level of expertise with MotionBuilder and Maya
- In depth knowledge of in-game animation systems, blending and layering methods, retargeting, and state machines
- Tools development and scripting skills, comfortable in languages like Python, MEL and LUA
- Strong problem solver with the ability to support the animation team with troubleshooting and technical assistance
- Good communication, organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills
- Works under minimal direction to determine and develop approach to solutions
- 5+ years’ of industry or related experience
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.