PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Lead Gameplay Animator
San Diego, CA (Sorrento Valley)
Are you an experienced game developer with a penchant for high quality, 3rd person action/adventure games? Do you enjoy PlayStation’s library of games and their top-tier studios? Have you always known how beautiful San Diego is, but never found an opportunity to live there? Then this is the opportunity for you!
Sony PlayStation is building a new game development team in partnership with the Visual Arts Service Group (VASG), an award-winning, full-production studio that specializes in Animation, Motion Capture, Cinematics, Art and Scanning.
This is the same world-class team known for its contributions to beloved franchises like Uncharted, Death Stranding, God of War and more. For more than a decade, we have shared knowledge, support and cutting-edge techniques with the very best developers in the industry: Naughty Dog, Kojima Productions, Guerrilla Games, Santa Monica Studios, Sucker Punch Productions, Bend Studio, Japan Studio, Insomniac Games and more.
This high visibility project is being developed in collaboration with a major Sony development studio. Though currently unannounced, we have a clear vision and plan to release. he new game development team will leverage our existing expertise and premier talent, guaranteeing a high visual quality bar for the title. Don’t wait… we want to hear from you!
- Animate and integrate Player and NPC animations sets.
- Build Animation State Trees in collaboration with Technical Artists.
- Work with Designers to implement a pipeline for interactive gameplay moments using unique & shared animations
- Guide animators through the process of implementing animations in engine.
- Work directly with artists, programmers, animators, riggers and game designers to contribute to the vision of the game.
- Collaborate across disciplines to complete work while removing dependencies.
- Create character motions through a mix of motion capture and key-frame animation with proprietary animation tools.
- One or more shipped AAA game titles.
- Strong and effective communication skills
- Experience animating with motion capture in conjunction with key-frame animation.
- Good understanding of acting principles.
- Can create realistic human motion.
- Good understanding of gameplay imperatives.
- Experience with Match Move Systems.
- Technical proficiency in setting up and adding to Animation Trees.
- Experience with creating and polishing Player & NPC animations.
- Experience implementing and fine-tuning melee & ranged combat systems for console.
- Comfortable working with minimal direction, yet adaptive when provided gameplay or aesthetic feedback.
- Ability to focus and work without micro-management while adhering to schedules.
- Adept at developing and documented pipelines and processes.
- Provide feedback on the cinematics animation direction along with the Art Director.
- Console experience a plus.
- Preferred: 5+ years of a realistic, 3rd person action game animation experience.