Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Motion Design Artist
This position is for a temporary engagement through our staffing partner Yoh.
Come join the award-winning God of War development team! Sony Santa Monica Studio is looking for a motion design artist to help us visualize dynamic design elements that will set the bar for creativity and complexity on the PS4. This individual will help articulate the artistic vision while working with teams of designers and artists to create concepts that add life and action to our creations. Help us develop designs that define our industry! As a motion design artist, you must possess the ability to effectively collaborate with the creative director, character artists, animators, and designers to rapidly visualize complex combat mechanics and other design elements, especially as it relates to movement, while also working with a wide range of development team members to ensure technical feasibility.
- Work closely with the creative director to rapidly develop and iterate on sketches of combat moves, intricate environmental puzzles, visual language use cases, and other design elements.
- Create initial rough sketches and diagrams, or develop more detailed illustrative pieces as required by the design team.
- Develop storyboards that capture unique and dynamic action sequences that would be used as references for artists, animators, and designers.
- Research pertinent subject matter to bring believability and feasibility to the actions and environments that a team of developers will fully realize.
- Actively improve skill sets and abilities by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills. This entails collaborating with the Production group to coordinate task lists to ensure assignments are progressing as expected according to schedules, milestones and overall project goals.
- May serve as an artistic resource for overall product or studio. This includes, but is not limited to conducting general research, developing cutting-edge techniques or testing new systems and tools.
- Ability to rapidly visualize and create variations on actions is a must for rapid iteration.
- Strong traditional fine art skills, training and production experience (illustration, painting, composition, human anatomy / organic forms, color theory, perspective, 2D & 3D design).
- Highly proficient in the use of Photoshop/Painter as well as traditional painting/rendering techniques. Understanding of the fundamentals of 3D packages a plus.
- Familiarity with video game product development.
- Good communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of human movement as it relates to animation.
- A. in Fine Arts or relevant curriculum - or - equivalent skillset.
- Minimum 3 years industry experience or related experience.
- Previous or next-gen video game platform experience is desirable.
- Having 1 or more published titles is considered a strength.
- Knowledge of fighting game moves, mechanics, and effects is a strength
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.