Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Senior Manager, SW Engineering
San Diego, CA
The Visual Arts Service Group of Sony Interactive Entertainment is looking for Senior Manager for its software engineering team. This role requires experience working as a developer in the visual effects or gaming industry, as well as time spent leading or managing a development team. The manager will be responsible for coordinating engineering efforts across the different focuses of the team including developing and maintaining our in-house production pipeline, next generation R&D projects, support for game engine integration, and the creation of plugins and tools for software applications used by our artists. The position entails collaboration with senior studio management, product specialists, and different internal departments, as well as outside research partners.
- Establish and enforce code and design standards for the engineering department.
- Collaborate with R&D Product owners, Leads, and Management on the Engineering roadmap.
- Work with project managers to track progress and ensure goals are being met.
- Present, communicate and advocate engineering perspectives as appropriate and needed
- Support the professional goals of the engineering team members and provide coaching (internal development opportunities, mentoring, one-on-ones)
- Monitor and review each individual's performance; deliver regular performance appraisals (including PIPs and other corrective/disciplinary actions)
- Facilitate communication and feedback between engineers and engineering team leads.
- Collaborate in resume review, phone screening, and interviews to bring in top-tier talent for the team.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent program
- At least five years programming experience in Visual Effects or Video Games, preferable with C++, Python and/or Scala
- Minimum one development cycle managing, coaching, and mentoring engineers or technical developers
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Attention to detail and follow through
- Experience with staffing and team building
- Knowledge of various project management methodologies and practices
- Experience working with NoSQL databases
- Experience working with Autodesk Maya
- Experience developing and deploying software on multiple operating systems.
- Experience working with motion capture or asset scanning technology
The Visual Arts Service Group is an award winning studio dedicated to providing the highest quality artistic support to first-party Sony game teams as well as other teams developing titles for the PS4. We offer dozens of services including asset scanning, actor scanning, body motion capture, facial motion capture, motion edit, animation, facial tracking and solving, and lighting. The Engineering department contains multiple teams that supports all the technical needs of the group.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.