Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Senior Concept Artist- Environment
Come join the award winning God of War development team! Santa Monica Studio is looking for an experienced Senior Environment Concept artist to help develop genre defining visuals delivered only on PlayStation. Come help us design a rich fantasy world steeped in story, mythology, mixed with strong historical detail and influences.
- Work with Leads, Art Directors and Game Directors to develop concept art for environments, set pieces and props.
- Ability to understand core art direction principles set forth by the Creative Director and Leads, build upon them through research, iteration, solid artistic ability, and collaboration.
- Responsible for creating concept art for multiple levels, gameplay systems and props in close collaboration with the 3D environment artists and designers. Help with the creation of style guides and design visual rule sets for fantasy based worlds.
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills. This entails collaborating with the production group track task lists to ensure assignments are progressing as expected according to schedules, milestones and overall project goals.
- Maintain a good knowledge of the games design as a whole to facilitate communication and enable early identification of potential artistic issues.
- Keeps aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluates competitive products, and determines areas to improve or innovate in to best the competition, communicates artistic innovations in a convincing way, and collaborates with the leadership team to develop plans for implementation.
Required Knowledge / Skills:
- Mastery of traditional art skills including composition, painting, drawing, sketching, lighting, perspective and color theory.
- Strong understanding and ability to design architecture, natural landscapes, as well as organic spaces.
- Expert in the use of Photoshop/Painter as well as traditional painting/rendering techniques.
- Proven ability to create visually interesting 3D spaces. Some understanding of 3D modeling software to create initial mockups or manipulate existing 3D files a plus.
- Extensive portfolio with examples of current, hands-on work, including concept art, production designs, storyboards and other visual images that demonstrate complex artistic goals in simple to follow visual images.
- Familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, limits of technology, matte painting, color keys, character turnarounds, story boards, marketing materials, and graphic design.
- Excellent reading and comprehension skills to gain a complete understanding of complex process documents, design documents, and written assignments. In addition, the ability to communicate written descriptions visually to individuals and the team.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to break down tasks and assignments and prioritize them into workable pieces on a daily, weekly, and project length basis.
- Works independently and conscientiously with minimal supervision.
Required Experience / Education:
- At least 6+ years of game art production, TV, or film related experience
- Bachelor degree or Equivalent training or skill sets
Preferred Experience / Education:
- 6+ years of game art production with credit on several shipped AAA titles.
- An advanced degree or professional certification requiring formal training (i.e., MBA, MFA, MA, MS)
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.