PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
***This position has the flexibility to be fully remote***
Senior Technical Designer
Sony Bend Studio, renowned creator of Days Gone, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Syphon Filter, is seeking outstanding talent to join our passionate and creative team in crafting our next high-profile AAA console title.
We are seeking a hands-on Senior Technical Designer that can help architect gameplay systems, mechanics, features, and tools for our next AAA game.
This is a significant role on our project that provides the opportunity to make a major impact on both the project and our Technical Game Design department through mentorship and technical skills.
As a Senior Technical Designer, you will both own and contribute to various game designs, create in-engine gameplay and feature prototypes, create scripts, gameplay-oriented tools, workflows, and pipelines used by our entire game design team.
Our Senior Technical Designer must also possess the ability to communicate and collaborate with a wide range of development team members outside of your direct discipline such as Artists, Animators, Audio, Producers, and Programmers to define and guide the design and implementation of desired tools, processes, features, and game play efficiently and at a high level of quality.
- Responsibilities include using C++ and script-based solutions to prototype gameplay, writing technical design documents, the final gameplay implementation according to defined quality standards, conceptual designs, establishing and maintaining development pipelines, technical parameters, and production goals.
- Able to self-organize, communicate across disciplines while upholding core studio values, proactively seek out and resolve bottlenecks, and manage their time effectively as this role is a mixture of hands-on development and design team support responsibilities.
- Assist the Lead Technical Designer in identifying and creating techniques, structures and tools used to guide and encourage the evolution of game design implementation within the studio and technical design team, to improve quality and/or efficiency.
- Act as a strong quality advocate and mentor for the team, crafting content that is AAA quality and helping others on the team achieve the same results.
- Adhere to coding standards set forth by the engineering department and contribute to the code review process.
- Guide technical gameplay features and systems through the development process starting with ideation, proof of concept, prototyping, development, finalizing, and post launch game support.
- Experience in at least one AAA Game Engine. Bonus for experience with custom engines or game development tools.
- Game Design process knowledge including (but not limited to) level design, AI, player control, user interface, combat, story and character design, pacing, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of C++ (preferred) or related languages (e.g., C#, Python).
- Good error checking and debugging skills, and experience optimizing code for performance and memory.
- Familiar with Agile, Lean, and Scrum Methodologies as it pertains to game development.
- Possess working knowledge of Maya (or similar 3D package).
- Experience with using version control systems such as Perforce, Git or Subversion.
- Experience with networking principles and systems that include multiplayer gameplay mechanics, synchronization, and other online feature implementation considerations is a plus.
- Knowledge of mathematics that pertains to game development (Vector, Geometry, Calculus and Newtonian Physics) is a plus.
- 4+ years of experience in a game production environment.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.