PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Staff Software Engineer - Cloud Engineering
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
As a member of Sony Interactive Entertainment's Future Technology Group (FTG), you'll have the opportunity to lead the charge in the cloud gaming revolution. FTG is at the forefront of putting console-quality video games on any device, and we're looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our Cloud Engineering team.
In this technical leadership role, you will use your skills and passion on meaningful projects that are building the future of game streaming. You will play a key role in building server-side applications for cloud orchestration on a large geographically distributed infrastructure that is capable of delivering fun and unique gaming experiences to millions of players! You will work with creative, forward-thinking, and collaborative teammates in both the hardware / systems engineering and cloud engineering spaces to deliver player experiences that make a difference. This position offers a healthy mix of development, leadership, and research, ensuring that work is both exciting and rewarding. An ideal candidate has a strong vision for the future, enjoys solving unique problems and takes great pride in overcoming them.
- Leads the design, development, and deployment of large features and systems within our datacenter racks
- Ability to break high-level features into appropriate tasks for other engineers to develop
- Responsible for designing high-level architectures which support multiple functional areas
- Ability to become a domain expert for one or more functional/product areas
- Triages and fixes reported bugs
- Communicates estimates, schedules, issues and dependencies to project and upper management
- Works with Test Engineering and QA to own end to end testing for functional/product area
- Continually brings new ideas and insights about technology to engineering team
- Mentors other engineers on development best practices
- Builds and fosters relationships with other FTG teams to help improve development process and eliminate inefficiencies
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 10-15 years of relevant development experience
- Expert knowledge in C/C++ and/or Rust
- Expert knowledge in low-level Linux / BSD systems programming
- Good understanding of networking concepts
- Solid understanding of building highly resilient distributed systems which can handle significant load
- Ambiguity doesn’t scare you. You see it as an opportunity to define the future
Skills & Knowledge
- Good knowledge of Java or Golang is a plus
- Python knowledge nice to have
- Good knowledge of version control tools such as git
- Strong debugging / analysis / triaging skills
- File systems, object/block-based storage, and networking knowledge
- Ability to seek out and evaluate new technologies / frameworks
- Experience in storage, driver development, performance engineering, and audio/video encoding
- Familiar with Agile development environment; people management experience is a plus
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Strong communication and documentation skills
- Strong accountability and motivation
- Contributions to widely used open-source libraries is a plus
- Stays up to date on the latest technology trends in the areas of distributed systems and systems programming
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.