PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
PlayStation Studios is looking for a Senior User Researcher to join its growing internal user research department in London (UK). This is an exceptional opportunity to help our teams create world class games by providing reliable & practical feedback on game experience via rigorous research with consumers.
We know that many people in UX come from backgrounds with different experiences that might not seem "standard". We really value people who bring unique perspectives and add new knowledge to our team. So even if you feel that you don't meet all of the points listed below, we'd still love to hear from you!
While there is a requirement for this role to be based in our Central London Offices for testing purposes, there is scope for some remote working!
Role & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with game developers to fully understand their needs and produce an overall research plan that optimally fits user feedback into the development processes
- Plan and design research activities that support the development of the games
- Carry out research activities including moderating tests, observing users, analysing findings, and writing reports
- Communicate findings with the development team to develop a deep understanding of user behaviour and needs
- Assist the research team in improving processes and methods
- Supervise the work of more junior members of the team
- Mentor more junior members, finding opportunities for their career growth
- Act as an ambassador, advocating user research internally and externally
Experience & Knowledge
- Have studied HCI, Interaction Design or a related subject area such as Cognitive Psychology to degree level including practical experience of moderating tests with users.
- A masters level degree or higher would be preferable.
- A passionate interest in video games
The successful candidate should demonstrate:
- Deep and broad experience with qualitative research methods
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; presenting information concisely and efficiently to people at all levels of the organisation.
- Good negotiation and influencing skills and be able to work well with cross-functional teams.
- Good organisation skills with the ability to prioritise tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- An excellent attention to detail and a strong commitment to quality, both in terms of your own work & in improving product quality through usability testing.
- A commitment to reliability, with a clear understanding & communication of the limitations of the research results.
- A good grounding in HCI and usability methods and excellent analytical ability; able to identify the key problems which need to be addressed.
- Ability to be open-minded and forward thinking and actively maintain an interest in the field.
- Familiarity with quantitative research methods using statistical analysis
- An understanding of a live service product & the role of user research to support continued development
- You know the game development process & the role & limitations of usability testing at each development stage
- Usability or UX testing experience, including client/account management, creating study designs, moderating sessions, writing reports, and presenting findings to a multi-disciplinary audience.
- Experience in mentoring more junior researchers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.