PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Contract Linux Information Systems Engineer
San Mateo, CA
Sony PlayStation in San Mateo is looking for a seriously hardworking computer nerd to help support PlayStation Studios (PSS) & Future Technology Group (FTG). Our ideal applicant needs to love gaming, building custom solutions and helping your coworkers hurdle seemingly difficult IT obstacles so PlayStation can continue to be the best place to play. It’s not an easy job, you’ll be constantly challenged and be expected to solve some unique problems. If you’re looking to gain some IT XP, join our team to level up!
As a member of the our IT team, you will be responsible for operating and contributing to the improvement of sophisticated systems engineering needs in a fast paced, challenging environment. The role will entail operational and project-based work across global PSS & FTG departments, as well as business units in SIE and Sony operating companies.
The applicant will primarily work in person at the San Mateo campus. There is some flexibility to work from home depending on workload and health department guidelines regarding Covid-19.
- With guidance, contribute to the support, design and improvement of data center and end user Windows / Linux computing platforms
- Actively participate in engineering efforts that help streamline user experiences and efficiency
- Support ML/AI compute cluster environments and local/S3 storage systems
- Leverage systems tools to identify and mitigate anomalies
- Analyze application and systems data to improve sub-optimal behaviors
- Use automation tools and processes to proactively supervise the health of production systems and respond to events
- Participate in developing policies, procedures and technical reports associated with operating and maintaining infrastructures
- Respond to requests and incidents via chat, email, tickets, phone
- Collaborate with peers in the implementation of new topologies and services
- Collaborate with our Information Security team on multi-functional initiatives and vital investigations
- Four + years of dynamic experience supporting enterprise environments including cloud
- Intermediate understanding of datacenter, cloud and live production standard methodologies and experience working in live high availability internal customer facing production environments
- Ability to participate in medium complexity projects with multiple team members and collaborators
- Author and maintain documentation of systems and processes
- Proficient with modern systems OS platforms (Linux, Windows, etc.)
- Proficient with code languages and automation tools (Salt, Landscape, Bright Cluster Manager, Python, etc.)
- Proficient with Windows systems deployment and support.
- Proficient with VMware vSphere clusters, networking and storage
- Experience with light DevOps workloads including management of Ubuntu, Kubernetes, Docker, web applications, filesystems, AWS, S3, etc.
- Experience with Ubuntu desktop management including vulnerability remediation
- Experience with Active directory domain administration
- Experience in leading technical deployment aspects of a digital and hybrid\remote workplace transformation
- Experience working with global teams
- Experience working with ServiceNow and Jira ticket systems
- Experience with networking principles as they relate systems and code
- Genuine interest in computer technology and willingness
This is an hourly non-exempt role
Please note that the individual base pay range may vary based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for benefit offerings that include medical, dental, and vision. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.