PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Corporate Counsel, Marketing and Advertising
San Mateo, CA (Hybrid)
Sony PlayStation's Legal and Business Affairs department has a great in-house opportunity for a Marketing and Advertising focused Attorney. As Senior Corporate Counsel, Marketing and Advertising at PlayStation, you will work on new and sophisticated legal challenges in the Gaming/Tech industry. This role will support a wide variety of Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) services and products.
You are an experienced attorney with extensive advising on Marketing and Advertising matters. You are able to work with a global team of attorneys, paralegals, and work well with multiple businesses in providing thoughtful advice in a timely fashion. You have an eye for detail on marketing collateral and you are an expert in a variety of marketing media; video, print, web ads, etc. If this sounds like you, then we'd love to hear from you. Join us at PlayStation, the Best Place to Work and Play!
- Provide timely and nuanced legal advice to Sony Interactive Entertainment’s marketing teams for PlayStation brand hardware and software as well as PlayStation Network’s services.
- Work with a team of paralegals reviewing marketing materials, product and service descriptions and terms across all media, platforms and printed collateral.
- Work closely with SIE’s Director, Marketing & Advertising Counsel as part of the Marketing & Advertising Legal Team who are responsible for advising on Marketing & Advertising issues in North America. This team also includes attorneys and paralegals who review marketing materials, product and service descriptions and terms and conditions across all media, platforms and printed collateral. Experience providing marketing and advertising law advice and working with staff providing this advice is a strong plus.
- Work directly with relevant business executives to provide legal support for SIE’s sales and marketing activities including marketing partnerships, influencers, peripherals marketing, video content and sweepstakes
- Work with others in the global Legal Teams to provide this support in a synthesized way.
- Provide advice and support for transactional matters for the Marketing Department and related departments as needed.
- Provide appropriate support and advice to SIE’s sales and marketing activities in South America and other regions as needed.
- Licensed attorney with a law degree from an accredited U.S. law school. CA Bar membership preferred or California registered in-house counsel.
- 12+ years’ experience practicing law, with a marketing/advertising focus, primarily in the areas described below.
- Substantial experience in copyright and trademark matters, unfair competition, false advertising, consumer-related FTC Section 5 matters, basic data privacy legal compliance, the FTC Endorsement and Disclosure Guides, social media platform guidelines, industry self-regulation guidelines and subscriptions.
- The ideal candidate has litigation experience in private practice in the area described above *and* in-house experience providing advice to the business or overseeing litigation on these matters. Experience negotiating transactional matters for sales and marketing organizations and contract drafting generally is a strong plus.
- Have substantial experience working for a hardware, software or content company providing legal advice to hardware, software, product and services teams in the areas of marketing, advertising (ad content and sales), social media and self-regulatory practices. This candidate has worked for a video game company or a company delivering digital content and services to consumers.
- Must have strong interpersonal, writing and office skills as well as the ability to identify and overcome obstacles and find quick solutions to legal and logistical issues. The ideal candidate is confident but diplomatic and flexible as priorities change every day. Strong candidates will have demonstrated leadership abilities and strong management skills as well as the proven ability to manage client expectations and multiple projects in a timely manner.
- Highly independent counselor with regular interaction with the business clients.
- Uses independent judgment and innovation to influence new policies, contribute to departmental strategies & processes to accomplish departmental objectives.
- Expected to manage large projects and set project schedules and goals for others.
- Establishes project schedules and coordinates work of team and business resources needed to complete.
- Involved in developing, modifying and executing policies that affect immediate operations and may also have company-wide effect.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.