PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Valkyrie Entertainment is a video game development studio based in Seattle. Since 2002, we have worked with world-class game developers and publishers and we are a proud member of PlayStation Studios.
At our studio, you will have the opportunity to work with an experienced and diverse team while contributing to a wide variety of projects and styles.
As a Senior Environment Artist, you will be responsible for creating environments that not only look stunning but play well too. You will work in tight collaboration with design and art leads, as well as providing mentorship to more junior artists. Ideal candidates are technically minded and able to work in game engines as well as create high-quality props & textures.
Daily tasks and Responsibilities
- Translate concept art and design ideas into game environments
- Collaborate within the team to design and layout gameplay spaces
- Review and deliver work in accordance with the project's artistic direction and deadlines
- Create props, architecture, and terrain models, textures, and materials
- Layout levels from gray-box through final set dressing and lighting
- Participate in R&D, problem solving artistic solutions to technical problems.
- Share knowledge within the team, advise and mentor more junior members of the team
- Assess artistic content with the Lead Artist and establish time and planning estimates by priority and level
- Assess and plan out the space, with consideration of narrative and visual storytelling
- Build and integrate assets into the play space
- Help set and maintain the high-quality bar of the studio
- Proactively seek feedback from Leads and Creative Directors and keep them informed of progress
- Actively pursue knowledge of the medium – what works, what doesn’t, and what we can do about it
- 5+ years professional experience as an environment artist or equivalent role within the game industry
- Has shipped at least 2 or more titles, preferably full project cycles on a AAA console title
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong ability to adapt to new processes and pipelines
- Strong knowledge of composition and visual storytelling
- Strong knowledge of level editors
- Excellent understanding of Physically Based Rendering systems
- Familiarity with data management software (such as Perforce)
- Strong gameplay and level design knowledge
- Strong knowledge of the video game industry and awareness of typical video game development processes
- Strong Knowledge of optimization techniques
- Experience in both hard surface and organic modelling
- Deep understanding of art fundamentals and design (including an understanding of composition, color theory, and lighting)
- Great technical knowledge of 3D packages (Maya, Max, etc), texturing packages (Substance Painter, Photoshop, etc), and game engines (Unity3D, Unreal, etc)
- The technical ability to grasp new programs and systems quickly
- Creative nature with strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work with a high degree of self-direction and motivation
- Comfortable working in a team setting, under deadlines and time constraints
- Experience with Unreal Engine 5
- Experience with Houdini
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.