PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
***This position has the flexibility to be fully remote***
Senior Technical Character Artist
Sony Bend Studio, renowned creator of Days Gone, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Syphon Filter, is seeking outstanding talent to join our passionate and creative family in crafting our next high-profile AAA title.
We are seeking a Technical Character Artist who will help drive and contribute to the technical development of a AAA game, with a specialized focus on creating art tools, techniques, and processes for character creation for game development.
- Work quickly and effectively to support content creators. Help develop workflows to improve the team’s efficiency and quality of work.
- Streamline artist workflows by developing artist friendly tools and scripts in 3rd party applications (e.g., Painter, Maya, Zbrush).
- Work with character lead and tech art teams to develop and design modular character creation processes and help maintain the pipeline.
- Interface with shading team to co-develop art to shading pipelines.
- Work with leads to establish tools and workflows for outsourcing vendors.
- Help improve Hair/Fur design systems and workflows.
- Help the photogrammetry team to improve the automation pipeline for character art production.
- Continues research and development into best practices and industry innovation.
- Professional or personal experience working with real time game engines.
- Strong artistic skills and working knowledge of 3D art production.
- Solid understanding of Python tool and pipeline development.
- Demonstrate understanding of Physically Based texturing and normal map use.
- Communicates and collaborates effectively with the development team.
- Able to manage multiple competing priorities and deadlines.
- Strong problem solving and trouble-shooting skills.
- Must be flexible and comfortable with prototyping and quick iteration.
- Experience with Allegorithmic Substance Designer/Painter.
- Proficient with Zbrush.
- Expert knowledge of Maya.
- Excellent communication, time-management, and organizational skills. Able to manage multiple competing priorities and deadlines.
- Knowledge of physics, cloth simulation, shaders and other character and animated prop skills.
- Familiarity with Shader authoring (HLSL, CGFX, etc.)
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.