PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Valkyrie Entertainment is a video game development studio based in Seattle. Since 2002, we have worked with world-class game developers and publishers, and we are a proud member of PlayStation Studios.
At our studio, you will have the opportunity to work with an experienced and diverse team while contributing to a wide variety of projects and styles.
Valkyrie is looking for a Sr. Manager, Engineering to drive its engineering team. You will be responsible for the people management of our engineers and coordinating engineering efforts across the different team projects. The position entails collaboration with senior studio management, different internal departments, as well as outside partners. With your experience as a leader, you will create an environment oriented to trust, open communication, creative thinking and cohesive team effort. You will also work closely with your peers and other stakeholders to establish product vision, goal, and overall quality.
- Manage the administrative monitoring of the engineering team
- Facilitate communication and feedback between engineers and engineering team leads
- Champion best practices and levelling up the engineering team as a whole
- Monitor and review everyone’s performance, deliver regular performance appraisals
- Collaborate with R&D Product owners, Leads, and Management on the engineering roadmap
- Collaborate with Producers to identify risks, remove potential blockers, and ensure alignment and smooth communication throughout the project
- Identify recruitment needs and participate in the recruitment & onboarding process
- Have regular One-on-One talks with team members to gather needs and give feedback
- Define team member development and career path opportunities with team members and mentor them to achieve goals
- Create and follow-up on staffing plans and budgets for your teams
- Ensure effective succession planning to facilitate Studio staffing and strategy requirements
- Collaborate in resume reviews, phone screenings, and interviews to bring in top-tier talent for the team
- Oversee delivery for general tech architecture and infrastructure to support the continued development of the project, including tools and pipelines.
- At least eight years of professional programming experience in Video Games (Console, PC, and/or Mobile)
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent program
- Experience managing, coaching, and mentoring engineers or technical developers through at least one full game production cycle
- Experience with staffing and team building
- Proactive, autonomous, and self-driven approach to work with demonstrable application of initiative
- Attention to detail and follow through
- Knowledge of various project management methodologies and practices
- Have great interpersonal skills combined with strong oral and written communication skills
- Interest in building strong teams and driving their skill development
- Professional experience demonstrating proficiency in algorithm design, understanding of complexity, and software architecture and design
- Ability to write clean, maintainable, and extensible code with attention to reusability
- Robust understanding of computer and software architecture
- Significant experience with object-oriented programming languages
- Industry experience working or shipping mobile titles
- Industry experience collaborating with international teams
- Familiarity with different game engines and their toolsets
- Experience with 3rd party game engines (Unreal, Unity, etc.)
- Cross platform network programming (UDP/TCP communication between apps)
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.