PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Principal Concept Artist
Sony Bend Studio, renowned creator of Days Gone, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Syphon Filter, is seeking outstanding talent to join our passionate and creative family in crafting our next high-profile AAA console title.
The Principal Concept Artist will be the Art Director’s collaborator and an important driving force in the studios art department. The right candidate will be a studio leader and will help drive the artistic vision of the studio with their creative and artistic talents.
- Create concept art that drives the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails creating concepts for all art assets including environments, characters, props, storyboards etc., while upholding the integrity of the games design, and the artistic vision of the game as a whole.
- Responsible for visual development of all game worlds and locations, working with the Art Director and creative leadership to conceptualize worlds and level locations, while creating fictional consistency using a visual langue that helps tell the story of the location or asset and reflects the necessary game play or story moments. This also includes conceptualizing vistas or creating matte paintings throughout the game that provide opportunities to showcase the world outside of the gameplay areas, and demonstrate the full capabilities of the studio’s rendering engine and current hardware platform.
- Maintain a good knowledge of the games design as a whole to facilitate communication and enable early identification of potential artistic issues.
- Collaborate with the Art Director, Marketing and PR teams, to provide key materials, including but not limited to, key concept art, print and web art and social media assets.
- Mastery of traditional art skills including composition, painting, drawing, sketching, and color theory.
- Expert in the use of Photoshop/Painter as well as traditional painting/rendering techniques.
- Extensive portfolio with examples of current, hands-on work, including concept art, production designs, storyboards and other visual images that demonstrate complex artistic goals in simple to follow visual images.
- Familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, limits of technology, matte painting, color keys, character turnarounds, story boards, marketing materials, and graphic design.
- Excellent reading and comprehension skills to gain a complete understanding of complex process documents, design documents, and written assignments. In addition, the ability to communicate written descriptions visually to individuals and the team.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to break down tasks and assignments and prioritize them into workable pieces on a daily, weekly, and project length basis.
- Works independently and conscientiously with minimal supervision.
- 10+ years’ experience in a production environment, be it games, film, and/or television.
- Proven ability to create visually interesting 3D spaces. Some understanding of 3D modeling software to create initial mockups or manipulate existing 3D files a plus.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.