PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
***This position has the flexibility to be fully remote***
Senior Technical Game Designer
Sony Bend Studio, renowned creator of Days Gone, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Syphon Filter, is seeking outstanding talent to join our passionate and creative family in crafting our next high-profile AAA console title.
We are seeking a Senior Technical Game Designer who will contribute to the design and development of AAA products with a specialized focus on creating gameplay-oriented tools, pipeline, content, and workflow solutions utilizing a combination of creative and technical design skills. A Senior Technical Game Designer must possess the ability to collaborate with a wide-range of development team members outside of direct discipline such as Directors, Artists, Animators, and Programmers to define and implement the desired tools, processes and game play efficiently and at a high level of quality.
- Responsibilities include prototyping gameplay, writing technical design documents, the final game play implementation according to defined quality standards, conceptual designs, development pipelines, technical parameters, and production goals.
- Be a passionate leader and mentor within the design group to ensure all our gameplay and game systems hit PlayStation’s high-quality bar to provide a world class experience to our players.
- A Sr. Technical Game Designer must possess the ability to collaborate with a wide range of development team members outside of direct discipline such as Directors, Artists, Animators, and Programmers to define and implement the desired tools, processes, and game play efficiently and at a high level of quality.
- Help establish, create, maintain and guide gameplay-oriented systems, pipeline, content and workflow solutions, gameplay-related design features by using a combination of code and script based solutions, written technical documents, tutorials, visual designs and verbal communication.
- Ensure the team adheres to coding standards set forth by the engineering department and oversee the code development process to ensure quality for the internal development team.
- Own, drive, and implement technical gameplay features or systems during pre-production, production, and final polish.
- Discover, define, and share information, as well as best practices across the team.
- Assist the Design Leads in identifying and creating techniques, structures and tools used to guide and encourage the evolution of game design within the studio, to improve quality and or efficiency.
- Review design implementations for quality, technical soundness, and adherence to script and code standards.
- Be a mentor the Technical Design Team and uphold core studio values.
- Guide the Technical Design Team through the development process starting with ideation, prototyping, development, finalizing, and post launch game support.
- Experience in at least one AAA Game Engine.
- Game Design process knowledge including (but not limited to) story and character design, level design, AI design, player control, user interface, pacing, etc.
- Understanding of the technical aspects of product development and its relationships to game design.
- Advanced knowledge of C style programming and scripting languages (e.g., C#, Python, C, C++) preferred.
- Basic understanding of computer design and architecture and experience optimizing script and code for performance and memory.
- Good error checking and debug skills to help identify problems and bugs and ensure the assigned design implementation tasks are always working.
- Possess working knowledge of Maya (or similar 3D package), engine tools and processes.
- The ability to communicate effectively with engineering and the design group on an individual basis, or within a group setting.
- Good time management skills with the ability to break down assignments and prioritize them into workable tasks on a daily, weekly, and project length basis.
- Able to manage long-term projects, creating and following a comprehensive schedule for the creation of gameplay mechanics, game systems, tools, etc.
- Experience with using version control systems such as Perforce, Git or Subversion.
- Experience working with custom game development tools and related commercial software.
- Knowledge of mathematics that pertain to game development (Vector, Geometry, Calculus and Newtonian Physics)
- 5 years of experience in a game production environment.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.