PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Technical Sound Designer
A seasoned Technical Sound Designer with a deep understanding and passion for systems, pipelines, and problem solving - who loves bridging the gap between creative and technical implementation challenges. With Advanced experience in a broad range of middleware and engines, you have a consistent track record delivering amazing sounding games. You want to work alongside our development partners at AAA studios such as Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, Insomniac Games, Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch Productions and more…
As it turns out:
We are looking for a Senior Technical Sound Designer to join our award winning, world-wide team in crafting high quality audio experiences for the PlayStation Studios group of development partners. You have the opportunity to continue to set the bar alongside some of the best developers in the industry on some of the most exciting AAA games for PlayStation, as well as drive audio technology innovation within PlayStation.
Design: Working with our development partners and supervising sound designers, you will use your technical skills and creativity to help define and bring the audio vision to life across a range of titles
- Design, implement and support complex interactive audio systems across multiple projects, using a range of engines and tools, incorporating sound design, music and voice
- Can lead the technical sound design and execution plan for multiple pillars within the project
- Designs and implements high quality audio assets where required
Direction: You will be accountable for a larger scope of technical sound design within a title, owning implementation for several areas and mentoring and directing sound designers to achieve success following the creative and technical vision
- Provides mentorship to junior sound design staff, can supervise the technical execution of a project
- Helps define and realize the sound design vision and technical execution plan for a title
- Define, apply, and educate standard methodologies of technical audio workflows and systems
Implementation: You will have a depth of knowledge across a wide range of tools and systems, and will be a leader within the team, renowned for your advanced implementation skills and technical prowess
- Leads and implements the technical sound design vision for the project
- Consistently delivers best in class sound design implementation solutions
- Work along-side audio programmers and sound designers to drive and develop features and systems based on creative vision and current and future needs
- Own and lead the audio project across all areas, including setup, structure, organization, and optimization
- Anticipate challenges and be proactive and forward-thinking in implementing solutions
- Logically and methodically helps the audio team address problems and fix bugs
- Own and coordinate performance and optimization efforts, champions and educates the team on optimal approaches
- Provides technical development support for sound designers across multiple titles
Tool and Technical Proficiency: You will adopt and seek out opportunities to learn and adapt in a constantly evolving environment when it comes to game and sound technologies and educate and share your knowledge with the team.
- Actively train and mentor on tools usage and philosophy.
- Actively pursues growth and standard processes with regards to tools usage and philosophy
- Enthusiastically acquires knowledge in new tools and workflows
- Partners with technical/engineering to develop tools and methodologies for efficient sound production
- Proactively assess current and future technology requirements and be an audio technology ambassador
Communication: You will help build and maintain significant relationships across our internal and external groups, based on trust and delivering consistent, high-quality results.
- Identifies and solves issues in communication between the sound design team and development partners
- Demonstrates passion for knowledge sharing and promoting new discoveries
- Evangelizes audio technology within the team and with development partners
- Instructs and mentors team members, encouraging and facilitating knowledge sharing
Innovation: You will open up the boundaries to challenge the status quo. You will be flexible and do things differently to expand boundaries to deliver breakthrough solutions, creatively and technically.
- Drives consistent communication with development partners about ways to elevate sound design for their area of ownership
- Works to define ways to integrate new ideas for content or systems into their project work & workflows
- Seeks out ways to improve and streamline audio development pipelines
- Demonstrates passion and aim to continually push creative and technical boundaries
Collaboration & Influence: You will be open, candid and push those around you in a positive way to succeed to together. You will help drive the process of coming up with, synthesizing and iterating on ideas with our internal team, external partners, and managers to achieve quality.
- Identifies and leads efforts inside project team, working with key influencers to effect change
- Leverages network of contacts outside of their own team to discover and drive collaboration efforts
- Applies technical knowledge to build and maintain influence with development partners
- Excels at communicating complex topics equally with both creative and technically minded audiences.
- 5 + years of experience as Technical Sound Designer for video games (or demonstration of technical skill in an audio development role)
- At least one shipped AAA release
- Experienced knowledge of audio integration in modern games
- Adept with implementation techniques within audio middleware (WWISE, FMOD, etc…)
- Proficient with implementation using visual scripting systems (e.g. blueprint)
- Experience working with game development teams and coordinating with various game departments such as animation, level design, AI, physics, mechanics, etc.
- Strong attention to detail and great organizational skills
- Strong time management and ability to plan and prioritize
- Ability to adapt and thrive with tight deadlines
- High degree of technical curiosity and creativity
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python or Lua
- Proficient with DAW environments (Reaper/Pro Tools)
- Experience with Reaper customization, ReaScript and extensions
- Familiarity with automation tools and command line environments
- Basic familiarity or experience with C++ and audio programming principals
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.