PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Combat Designer
Sony Bend Studio, creator of Days Gone, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Syphon Filter, is seeking outstanding talent to join our passionate and creative family in crafting our next high-profile AAA title.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Combat Designer to take part in the design, implementation and overall execution of the game’s combat systems. The ideal candidate will contribute significantly to the product’s vision and development of a AAA product with a specialized focus on leading, designing, maintaining, and balancing the game’s combat designs and player experience.
- Primary focus for this position will be to own our game’s ranged and melee combat designs to create a fun, challenging, and engaging combat experience for players
- Work with our custom tools to implement and tune the game’s combat and related traversal experiences
- Prototype, build, and ultimately own the moment-to-moment combat shooting and traversal experience
- Design, implement and extensively test combat systems for weapons, gear, traversal, and player abilities
- Directly manage or work closely with a cross-discipline team to successfully turn the game’s combat vision into fun, “on the stick” gameplay through prototyping and implementation
- Be a passionate leader and mentor within the combat group to ensure our combat systems and features hit PlayStation’s high quality bar to provide a world class experience to our players
- Collaborate and communicate with the game’s directors, leads, and other team members from all disciplines during the product development cycle
- Review and evaluate competitive products, identifying trends and game system related areas to innovate in and best the competition.
- Identify and help create techniques, structures and tools to guide and encourage the evolution of game design within the studio, and to improve quality and or efficiency
- Deep knowledge of both historical and current trends in AAA combat design
- Understanding of the technical aspects of product development and its relationships to game design
- Good error checking and debug skills to help identify problems and bugs and ensure the assigned design implementation tasks are always working
- Good reading, writing, and comprehension skills to have complete understanding of complex process documents, design documents, and written assignments.
- The ability to communicate effectively with individual team members, or within a group setting and the ability to write short reports and process documents when needed to explain implementation processes, design ideas, or other issues
- Good time management skills with the ability to break down assignments and prioritize them into workable tasks on a daily, weekly, and project length basis
- Able to manage long-term projects, creating and following a comprehensive schedule for the creation of complex assets such as game levels, game play systems, etc.
- Able to complete tasks and assignments quickly and correctly with limited iterative reworking
- Great positive attitude with the ability to be agile enough to champion any direction change (common with new IP development)
- Good data management skills, with the ability to manage and track large amounts of data as they go through the design pipeline, with attention to naming conventions, directory structures, and other defined processes
- Experience working with custom game development tools and related commercial software
- At least 5+ years of experience in a game development environment as a combat game designer on multiple AAA titles
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.