PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Director, Corporate Development
San Mateo or Los Angeles, CA (hybrid)
Sony Interactive Entertainment (PlayStation) seeks a highly qualified Director, Corporate Development. SIE’s Corporate Development Team works closely with SIE’s management team and is responsible for identifying inorganic growth opportunities through acquisitions, investments or joint ventures. The team sources, evaluates and completes transactions that are aligned with SIE’s strategic priorities and drive significant long-term value for the company.
The foundational work of the team involves developing market insights through strong internal and external relationships to identify attractive M&A and investment opportunities. Opportunities are assessed based on detailed investment criteria and evaluation by internal partners. Members of the team will develop the case (including commonalities) and drive internal alignment on strategic fit and the post-deal plan. The team works collaboratively across all functions and services at SIE.
This is a high profile and exciting role with significant executive exposure. The Director is encouraged to bring significant expertise of the video gaming space, as well as strategic problem-solving and deal/investment experience. The position offers unique opportunities at the convergence of the global media and technology industries, and a chance to influence the evolution of this fast paced sector.
What you'll be doing:
- Work with Corporate Strategy, senior executives, and other internal partners to continuously refine the major strategic themes that guide SIE’s M&A strategy
- Be a thought-leader within the organization, particularly with respect to the strategic themes and the external landscape of competitors and potential targets
- Drive proactive deal sourcing, including developing relationships with external and internal partners
- Lead a tight and meticulous target evaluation process with clear decision criteria and in-depth analysis
- Own the development of recommendations to senior executives and guide the alignment process for proposed M&A projects
- Shepherd the deal execution process, including due diligence, valuation and approvals
- Build and manage relationships with business unit leaders within SIE and across the other Sony teams to facilitate discovery of opportunities and alignment on projects
- Stay apprised of key business metrics and broader industry developments
- Help build and lead a dedicated and motivated Corporate Development team
What we're looking for:
- 12+ years of corporate development, corporate strategy, investment banking, strategic consulting, investing or strategy experience, with significant exposure to the video gaming space
- Experience sourcing and evaluating inorganic growth opportunities, including identifying key strategic themes, maintaining relationships with key partners and driving the target evaluation process
- Proven track record of leading all parts of the end-to-end M&A process for both large and small transactions, including acquisitions, joint ventures and investments
- Strategic, quantitative and financial modeling skills, including the ability to structure the rationale for M&A recommendations and to support it with data and financial models
- Data savvy with the ability to drill down and identify key drivers and communicate insightful, concrete recommendations
- Excellent communication skills and consistent track record of developing relationships with senior executives and key external partners
- Strong project management skills and ability to work cross-functionally in a matrixed organization
- Strong team-player with a reputation for great people management and development
- Ability to work with multiple cultures and to tailor work style and messaging to function effectively across globally distributed management teams
- BA required, MBA from a top institution preferred
- International work experience preferred
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.