PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Now, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
***This position has the flexibility to be fully remote***
Senior Staff Technical Artist (Lighting)
Sony Bend Studio, renowned creator of Days Gone, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Syphon Filter, is seeking outstanding talent to join our passionate and creative family in crafting our next high-profile AAA console title.
We are seeking a Sr. Staff Technical Artist who will contribute to the technical development of AAA products with a specialized focus on lighting for game development. The Sr. Staff Technical Lighting Artist will work with the Lighting Lead to identify and develop tools and workflow improvements that enable the lighting team to operate efficiently and with maximum flexibility.
- Contribute to the development of lighting tools and processes that help achieve a product’s visual style and encourage artistic technical evolution within the studio.
- Creates lighting setups, tools, shaders, and workflows as needed to increase the lighting team’s efficiency and work quality.
- Develop efficient lighting solutions that fit within the technical constraints of the game.
- Fix lighting bugs and implement root cause solutions.
- Follow creative direction to implement high quality lighting that fits the visual style of our game.
- Keeps aware of industry trends and technical techniques, evaluates competitive products, and determines areas we can improve or innovate, communicates innovations in a convincing way, and collaborates with the leadership team to develop plans for implementation.
- Provides input on the technical methods to achieve the artistic goals and vision.
- Serves as a technical resource for all phases of production and other studio art needs. This includes, but is not limited to conducting general research, developing cutting-edge tools and techniques, and testing new systems or tools. Providing training, transmitting industry related information, and conveying concerns in a constructive way by providing solutions to those concerns.
- Highly proficient in Python. Some knowledge of Qt and C++ is a plus.
- Highly proficient in the use of 3D software to light environment and cinematic scenes.
- Excellent reading and comprehension skills to fully understand complex process documents, design documents, and written assignments. The ability to communicate complex processes effectively either individually with team members, or within group settings. The ability to write short reports and process documents when needed in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong time management skills, with the ability to break down tasks and assignments and prioritize them into workable pieces on a daily, weekly, and project length basis. Works independently and conscientiously with minimal supervision. Able to manage long-term projects, creating and following a comprehensive schedule for the creation of complex lighting scenes and shaders for game assets and cinematics.
- Strong data management skills, with the ability to manage and track large amounts of data as they go through the art pipeline with attention to naming conventions, directory structures, and other processes.
- Extensive portfolio with examples of current, hands-on work, including lighting environments and characters in a variety of situations. Demonstrating the use of lighting setups and a strong understanding of the lighting pipeline. Multiple examples of high-quality lit environments and cinematics.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.