Description And Duties:
This position's principal responsibilities and duties are wide ranging and include:
Contract Review and Management
- With General Counsel’s support, drafting, reviewing, revising and negotiating a wide variety of commercial agreements;
- Tracking contract renewals, expirations and other post-execution deliverables;
- Summarizing contractual terms and other business and legal matters, and responding to internal contract inquiries and other requests pertaining to such terms and matters;
- Maintaining organized electronic transaction files for ongoing contract negotiations.
- Flagging non-standard contract terms that require GC or C-level approval
Corporate Secretarial and Corporate Governance Support
- Supporting corporate secretarial function for the company, including (i) maintaining corporate records, governing documents, permits, licenses and filings, (ii) maintaining company’s capitalization table, including exercise dates and necessary documentation, (iii) maintenance of all employee and contractor documentation, (iv) coordinating and conducting corporate filings for new and existing entities, (v) ordering documents from state Secretaries of State and managing the company's agent in connection therewith, (vi) responding to relevant inquiries regarding corporate information and corporate-related matters.
- Assisting with and supporting General Counsel with various strategic initiatives, including M&A activities, securities, corporate governance and equity and debt financings, such as coordinating and populating virtual datarooms and preparation of disclosure schedules and other documents.
Intellectual Property, Litigation and Dispute Management
- Maintaining the company's IP portfolio (and liaising with outside counsel where applicable), including assisting with the clearance and acquisition of copyrights and domain names, renewals.
- Drafting cease and desist letters and assisting in the preparation of responses to cease and desist letters, and other dispute- related correspondence, as necessary.
Knowledge Management and Functional Initiatives
- Reviewing, processing, reconciling and tracking legal invoices
- Assisting in the development, generation, implementation, maintenance and refinement of forms, processes and procedures with respect to the Company’s legal function.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree from accredited university.
- Paralegal certificate with 3-5 years of relevant experience gained at a leading law firm. In-house experience a plus. Media/Advertising experience a big plus.
- No startup experience necessary, but desire to work in extremely fast-paced startup environment is a necessity!
Interpersonal Skills and Competencies:
The Successful Candidate Must Be:
- Highly organized, extremely detail-oriented, creative, efficient and resourceful with strong follow-through skills.
- Have a strong work ethic and sense of professionalism and discretion, demonstrating accountability, integrity, good judgment and respect for confidentiality.
- Be extremely bright and intellectually curious, but with high EQ.
- Have the ability to engage effectively with all levels of employees and management across the organization.
- Be able to simultaneously manage workloads, multiple client demands and shifting priorities within a fast- paced, rapidly evolving environment all under tight timelines.
- Have excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Be highly analytical and have exceptional business and legal issue identification and problem-solving skills.
- Be able to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive, "find a way" attitude to the workplace and works collaboratively with the GC and with internal clients.
- Have a strong desire to learn the business and expand areas of expertise and to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Be energized by the challenges of serving a fun, dynamic, hyper-growth company. Sense of humor is key J
Some Spider Studios is a fast-growing media & entertainment company backed by top VC's and serial entrepreneurs Marc Lore and Vinit Bharara. Marc and Vinit previously co-founded Diapers.com and sold it to Amazon. Marc more recently founded Jet.com and sold it to Walmart, where he is CEO of Walmart.com.
We're currently home to three channels: Scary Mommy (largest women with kids brand online), CAFE (led by popular national figure Preet Bharara, host of chart topping pod "Stay Tuned") and The Dad (fastest growing new brand for men with kids) – all built for mobile, social and streaming.
Fresh off our latest funding round, we are now accelerating hiring and looking for exceptional talent who will join us on our mission to build the very best team and culture on the planet.