Launched in 2015, SOL DE JANEIRO is an award-winning, fast-growing premium global lifestyle beauty brand inspired by the beauty rituals and attitude of the beaches of Rio. Our brand purpose is to spark endless self-celebration and joy through the power and warmth of the Brazilian spirit. This philosophy extends from our products to our corporate culture. We are leaders, permanently inquisitive, category obsessed, incredibly diverse, self-demanding, true team players, and we are all Brazilian in Spirit.
Headquartered in New York and launched as a digitally native brand, we now have teams in Rio, Paris, London and Italy supporting the expansion across the globe.
This role will lead product development for body formulas to support the hypergrowth and rapid global expansion of the brand. Someone who loves the cross-functional nature and complexity of product development, thrives in a fast-paced environment, enjoys managing a team, and excels in a passionate, collaborative culture would be successful in this role.
The position will report to the Director of Product Development.
- Lead the end-to-end product development process for body formula development, including but not limited to formulator selection, ideation, raw material selection, brief creation, internal panel testing, result analysis and presentation, pilot, and launch preparation
- Cross-functional Collaboration: Collaborate closely with internal teams, including Packaging Development, Regulatory Affairs, Project Management, Product Marketing, Creative, and Supply Chain, to ensure seamless coordination throughout the product development lifecycle
- Project Management: Effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously, ensuring milestones are met and products are launched on time with excellence
- Vendor Management: Act as the main point of contact for body formula development with contract manufacturers and fragrance houses. Build and maintain strong working relationships with external partners, fostering effective communication and collaboration
- Technical & Category Expertise: Stay up to date with emerging trends, technologies, and best practices in the body space, sharing knowledge and insights with the relevant teams
- Effectively manage direct report(s) to execute department directives
- Other duties as assigned
- 5+ years' experience in product development within the cosmetics industry, OTC drug development experience required
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or relevant scientific discipline required. Advanced degree is a plus
- Fragrance development experience a plus
- In-depth knowledge of formulation, scale-up, and manufacturing processes
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements for OTC drug development
- Ability to clearly communicate technical information to non-technical teams
- Demonstrated organizational agility - effective in working both independently and as part of a team
- Proven ability to deliver results on time and with excellence
- Experience in effectively and collaboratively working with fragrance houses and contract manufacturers
- Excellent leadership skills, fostering collaboration, creativity, and professional growth
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written
- Some travel required
- Must be comfortable working a hybrid schedule (remote & in our New York City office, when needed).
In addition to base salary, this position is eligible for participation in a highly competitive bonus program with the possibility for overachievement based on performance and company results.
The information contained herein is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee, as these may change or new ones may be assigned at any time.
Sol de Janeiro is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.