Hollywood Park will be a year-round sports and entertainment destination located just 3.1 miles from Los Angeles International Airport. The project covers 298 acres of office, retail, and residential space with the centerpiece of the district being a 70,000-seat stadium that will be the home of NFL games for both the Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers. Hollywood Park will also play host to the 2022 Super Bowl, the 2023 College Football National Championship, and the Opening and Closing ceremonies of the 2028 Olympics, as well as major concerts and other entertainment year-round.
The Groundskeeper position will be responsible for execution of the maintenance of the stadium’s artificial playing surface including all preparation for the various sporting and entertainment events that utilize the playing surface. This position will be responsible for the management and usage of the field turf protection system (Matrax). This position will work with part-time staff who will assist in executing all field activities, maintenance, and cleaning/disinfection of the artificial surface. This position will assist with lining, marking, striping, and painting of the competition field for play. This position will perform annual, bi-annual, and on-demand maintenance program for competition field. The position will assist with maintaining records and reports necessary to comply with all standards, regulations and codes.
The scope of this position encompasses 24 hour-a-day, 7 day-a-week activities. On an annual basis these activities include approximately an estimated 250+ events via Hollywood Park venues. Hollywood Park has a Fan First mentality, as such this person will ensure an exceptional experience and safe environment for all Hollywood Park staff and visitors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Execution of athletic field maintenance workload designed to maintain condition and appearance of athletic turf surface in world class condition.
• Prepares artificial turf surface for competition and events including lining, marking, striping, and painting of the playing surface for event needs. Includes painting multiple colors and designs within the scope of work.
• Utilizes specialty turf related machinery and tools safely in order to achieve desired scope of work.
• Organize and monitor workflow for efficiency and timeliness. Ensure all work for quality, completion, accuracy and adherence to internal policies and procedures.
• Execute routine and preventative maintenance on artificial turf surface.
• Ensure the adherence of all department staff to be compliant with OSHA and Hollywood Park standards.
• Responsible for turf protection operations as it relates to the playing surface.
• Assist with completing and maintaining all required testing data for the surface.
• Completion of other duties as assigned or required.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience in turf grass management/Horticulture/Turf Grass Sciences or related field.
• Valid Driver’s license.
• Strong work ethic with an emphasis in proactivity and interdependence. Ability to work alone and in a small team.
• Strong understanding of artificial turf maintenance and artificial turf painting and removal.
• Able to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
• Position requires walking most of the working day; must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to 6 hours in length. Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between functions occurring simultaneously. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis. Must be able to walk, stand, sit, bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill tasks. Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Ability to adapt communication style to suit different audiences and situations. Written communications to be concise, well organized, complete and clear.
• Experience with Heavy Machinery Operations such as lifts, forklifts, and power tools including licenses and certifications.
• Knowledge of current federal, state, local and jurisdictional laws and regulations affecting the management and operations of sports fields.
• Knowledge of NFL and sports field layouts
• Experience working with AutoCAD drawings
• Minimum – Associate’s degree in Turf Grass Management, Agronomy, Plant Science, Horticulture, or equivalent field.
• Preferred – Bachelor’s degree in Turf Grass Management, Agronomy, Plant Science, Horticulture, or equivalent field.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a complete listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
Hollywood Park strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.