SoFi Stadium is located at Hollywood Park and will be a year-round sports and entertainment destination located just four miles from Los Angeles International Airport. The project covers 298 acres of office, retail, and residential space with the centerpiece of the district being a 70,000-seat stadium that will be the home of NFL games for both the Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers. SoFi Stadium and Hollywood Park will also play host to the 2022 Super Bowl, the 2023 College Football National Championship, and the Opening and Closing ceremonies of the 2028 Olympics, as well as major concerts and other entertainment year-round.
The Supervisor of Turf and Grounds will supervise and manage the landscape sub-contractor and their daily operations in maintaining the landscape and decorative horticulture throughout the Los Angeles Stadium and Entertainment District site as well as assisting with the game and event preparations of the stadium playing surface. The daily essential functions are to ensure that the landscaped areas around the stadium, performance venue and district are exceptionally well maintained and in appearance befitting the world class property. This position will also assist with the field painting and preparation of the playing surface for stadium related competitions and large-scale events. The Supervisor of Turf and Grounds will need to lead and direct the staff necessary to complete daily tasks including mowing, edging, trimming of grass areas as well as the ongoing maintenance and growth management of 1,200 boxed trees throughout the property. The Supervisor of Turf and Grounds will be responsible for the proper growth of several different biomes of landscape that are specific to different regions around Inglewood and California. The Supervisor of Turf and Grounds will additionally be responsible for managing the landscape budget for the property including supplies, purchasing and related inventory tracking.
The scope of this position encompasses 24 hour-a-day, 7 day-a-week activities. On an annual basis these activities include approximately an estimated 250+ events via Hollywood Park venues. Hollywood Park has a Fan First mentality, as such this person will ensure an exceptional experience and safe environment for all Hollywood Park staff and visitors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directly coordinate, plan and manage daily, weekly, monthly and annual landscape subcontractor work plans to ensure Hollywood Park standards are met in compliance with landscape operations and contractual service obligations within the specified budget of labor and expense.
- Document all periodic and preventative landscape work in computerized management software.
- Coordinate landscaping scopes of work and staffing for events held in all Hollywood Park venues and campus with the expectation that work is being executed to minimize the amount of work necessary during business hours.
- Supervise proper landscape maintenance techniques are being employed to each of the different plant species in the different biomes around the site. Recommend and supervise the decision of granular and foliar fertilizers as well as cultural practices such as fungicides, herbicides, and pesticides.
- Assist with the preparation of the stadium playing surface for competitions or other large-scale events. This work to include preventative and routine maintenance, painting/striping, installation or removal of required competition elements such as goal posts, goals, sideline equipment, and other necessary items.
- Protective flooring system (Matrax) installation and removal is also included in scope of work.
- Schedule, perform and report on landscape maintenance performance designed to ensure the highest landscape and horticultural standards are being upheld. Create remediation plans for corrective actions as necessary. Create work plan for any reparative or restorative work designed to promote the healthy growth of species around the site.
- Manage compliance with all Hollywood Park and applicable agency safety policies. Ensure that the Hollywood Park policies, procedures and all safety requirements are administered properly. Ensure delivery of training or retraining is completed to address areas of non-compliance with Hollywood Park standards/policies.
- Manage supply systems; spending, ordering and inventory. Perform routine audits and generate related reports of budget usages.
- Establish and manage quarterly landscape contractor status/analysis meetings with appropriate staff/contractor.
- Provide excellent customer service to the Hollywood Park community across all venues and campus proper.
- Perform additional actions and activities as requested.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in landscape and horticultural management and supervision with increasing responsibilities.
- Valid Driver’s license.
- Extensive landscape, horticulture and irrigation experience with a passion for the industry
- Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose irrigation problems and recommend repairs in a timely manner.
- Ability to understand and adjust different irrigation systems based on water needs, times of year, and events.
- Previous experience in supervising contracts and a landscape-based work force
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail. Ability to work effectively under time constraints.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Ability to adapt communication style to suite different audiences and situations. Written communications to be concise, well organized, complete and clear.
- Able to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Position requires walking and giving direction most of the working day; must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to 6 hours in length. Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between functions occurring simultaneously. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis. Must be able to walk, stand, sit, bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill tasks. Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment.
- Landscape equipment operations (chippers, chainsaws, grinders, trimmers, edgers, mowers, aerators, irrigation, blowers, etc.).
- Experience in managing and analyzing budgets including generating projections and capital planning.
- Experience in tree health and management both for planted and boxed trees
- Previous experience in event related project site
- Minimum – Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture, Urban Forestry, Environmental Conservation, Arboriculture, or related field
- Preferred – Advanced degree or certifications in the above or related fields
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a complete listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
Hollywood Park strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.