Hollywood Park will be a year-round sports and entertainment destination located just 3.1 miles from Los Angeles International Airport. The project covers 298 acres of office, retail, and residential space with the centerpiece of the district being a 70,000-seat stadium that will be the home of NFL games for both the Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers. Hollywood Park will also play host to the 2022 Super Bowl, the 2023 College Football National Championship, and the Opening and Closing ceremonies of the 2028 Olympics, as well as major concerts and other entertainment year-round.
The Field Painter will be responsible for the aesthetic preparation and treatment to the artificial turf playing surface for the various sporting and entertainment events that utilize the facility, which includes not only the painting of the field but also the removal of painting/marks following an event. This position has responsibility for planning, supervising and executing the lining, marking, striping, and painting of the competition field for play, including all endzone, midfield, and specialty logo marks. Responsible for the oversight of part-time field staff during field painting. Assist with performing annual, bi-annual, and on-demand maintenance program for equipment used in the process of field painting. The position will be responsible for maintaining records and reports necessary to comply with all standards, regulations and codes. Assist with the overall scope of field maintenance under the direction of the Turf and Grounds Manager.
The scope of this position encompasses 24 hour-a-day, 7 day-a-week activities. On an annual basis these activities include approximately an estimated 250+ events via Hollywood Park venues. Hollywood Park has a Fan First mentality, as such this person will ensure an exceptional experience and safe environment for all Hollywood Park staff and visitors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Plan and strategize the schedule for field preparedness for events within the overall field maintenance schedule.
• Supervise game preparedness including lining, marking, striping, and painting of the playing surface for event needs. Includes painting multiple colors and designs within the scope of work. As required, will also be responsible for the safe removal of paint and markings from the field after an event.
• Organize and monitor workflow for efficiency and timeliness. Set priorities based on conditions, weather, special events, etc. Adjust as needed. Review work for quality, completion, accuracy and adherence to internal policies and procedures.
• Provide recommendations on materials, supplies and equipment required to deliver scope of responsibilities. Assist with ordering materials, supplies, and equipment within budget.
• Create and maintain a system of inventory and usage for all materials, supplies and equipment. Liaises with vendors on issues related to products, services and delivery.
• Assist with recruitment, development and training of all department staff to be compliant with OSHA and Hollywood Park standards.
• Responsible for turf protection operations as it relates to the playing surface.
• Partner with event managers and event sales staff to ensure turf and grounds needs and expectations are met.
• Completion of other duties as assigned or required.
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in sports turf management, specifically as it relates to artificial turf systems.
• Valid Driver’s license.
• Experience with the application and removal of paint from artificial playing surface.
• Understanding of painting techniques and equipment.
• High degree of leadership ability, especially in terms of problem solving and decision making.
• Strong project management skills and attention to detail. Ability to work effectively under time constraints.
• Able to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
• Position requires walking and giving direction most of the working day; must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to 6 hours in length. Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between functions occurring simultaneously. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis. Must be able to walk, stand, sit, bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill tasks. Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Ability to adapt communication style to suite different audiences and situations. Written communications to be concise, well organized, complete and clear.
• Experience with Heavy Machinery Operations such as lifts, forklifts, and power tools including licenses and certifications.
• Knowledge of current federal, state, local and jurisdictional laws and regulations affecting the management and operations of sports fields.
• Knowledge of NFL and sports field layouts
• Experience working with AutoCAD drawings
• Minimum – Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Plant Science, Horticulture, or equivalent field.
• Preferred – advanced degree or certifications for related field.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a complete listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
Hollywood Park strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.