SoFi Stadium is located at Hollywood Park and will be a year-round sports and entertainment destination located just four miles from Los Angeles International Airport. The project covers 298 acres of office, retail, and residential space with the centerpiece of the district being a 70,000-seat stadium that will be the home of NFL games for both the Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers. SoFi Stadium and Hollywood Park will also play host to the 2022 Super Bowl, the 2023 College Football National Championship, and the Opening and Closing ceremonies of the 2028 Olympics, as well as major concerts and other entertainment year-round.
The Turf and Grounds Director will be responsible for the maintenance of the stadium’s artificial playing surface including all of the preparation for the various sporting and entertainment events that utilize the playing surface. This position has responsibility for executing turf and grounds management to include field maintenance calendar of activities, maintenance, and cleaning/disinfection of the artificial surface. This position will oversee the lining, marking, striping, and painting of the competition field for play. Performs annual, bi-annual, and on-demand maintenance program for competition field. Strategically plans budget expenditures for the field and related equipment and materials. The position will be responsible for maintaining records and reports necessary to comply with all standards, regulations and codes. The position will work closely with all departments of the Hollywood Park team, as well as with the Los Angeles Rams, Los Angeles Chargers, the NFL and other tenants.
The scope of this position encompasses 24 hour-a-day, 7 day-a-week activities. On an annual basis these activities include approximately an estimated 250+ events via Hollywood Park venues. Hollywood Park has a Fan First mentality, as such this person will ensure an exceptional experience and safe environment for all Hollywood Park staff and visitors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assesses athletic field maintenance workload and plans or schedules staff accordingly. Determine staffing needs, including temporary labor as needed, for peak volumes and/or special projects. Ensures staff are adequately trained and cross-trained to promote continuity of operations during vacation and extended absences.
- Develop and implement programs for game preparedness including lining, marking, striping, and painting of the playing surface for event needs. Includes painting multiple colors and designs within the scope of work.
- Organize and monitor workflow for efficiency and timeliness. Set priorities based on conditions, weather, special events, etc. Adjust as needed. Review work for quality, completion, accuracy and adherence to internal policies and procedures.
- Determines costs of equipment, materials, and supplies to price accordingly. Orders materials, supplies, and equipment within budget. Liaises with vendors on issues related to products, services and delivery. Generates budget projections for materials, supplies and equipment needs as requested.
- Manage recruitment, development and training of all department staff to be in compliance with OSHA and Hollywood Park standards.
- Responsible for management, usage and storage of turf protection system (Matrax).
- Partner with event managers and event sales staff to ensure turf and grounds needs and expectations are met.
- Management of Turf and Grounds related budget and capital planning. Exercises cost control measures to keep operating and capital expenses in line with approved budgets as necessary.
- Communicates with relevant parties as it relates to the playability of the surface. Maintains all required testing data for the surface and completes analysis of such data as necessary. Provides data to governing bodies such as the NFL as necessary.
- Responsible for managing sub contracted landscape services and janitorial services for Stadium, Performance Venue, non-stadium site, Lake Park and the overall campus to ensure the highest quality standards. Includes integrated pest control, materials handling and heavy machinery maintenance.
- Completion of other duties as assigned or required.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in sports turf management, specifically as it relates to artificial turf systems
- Valid Driver’s license
- High degree of administrative and executive ability, especially in terms of problem solving and decision making.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail. Ability to work effectively under time constraints
- Able to work nights, weekends, and holidays
- Position requires walking and giving direction most of the working day; must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to 6 hours in length. Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between functions occurring simultaneously. Must be able to lift up to 15-50 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis. Must be able to walk, stand, sit, bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill tasks. Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Ability to adapt communication style to suite different audiences and situations. Written communications to be concise, well organized, complete and clear
- Heavy Machinery operations, lifts, forklifts, and power tools including licenses and certifications
- Experience in managing budgets and calendars
- Knowledge of current federal, state, local and jurisdictional laws and regulations affecting the management and operations of sports fields.
- Knowledge of NFL and sports field layouts
- Experience working with AutoCAD drawings
- Minimum – Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Plant Science, Horticulture, or equivalent field.
- Preferred – advanced degree or certifications for related field.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a complete listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
Hollywood Park strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.